Arggh. why i it so hard to get help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drummerbooker14, Sep 11, 2006.

1. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

I have been trying to understand how to boot xp off an external disk, but alas, no dice. as soon as i find something useful, part of it says, i won't explain because it has already been posted, and i'll be damned if another one says that again!! so then i proceed to search or it and no luck. so if thee is one soul out there who will take the time to explain this to me, then please do this. how do i modify the XP SP2 cd to allow booting from an eternal disk with NO internal partition on a mac computer,(this means no pesky fiddling on a pc becuse of my lack of one). thank you

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

do you use firewire or usb? you prob can't use firewire since xp doens't load firewire driver that early... if you want to do usb, well, you'll have to have a 5gb partition on your internal...

that's at least current since the last time i tried... (and obviously you didn't search hard enough)

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

It is possible but it is way to hard and i wouldn't even try doing it.

4. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Oh man not another question about that! God, can't you just read through old threads????!!!!!! :D :D

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

You can boot OSX off an external drive, you could put windows on the internal and then osx on the external but I wouldn't reccommend that either.

6. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

i'm sorry if i was indirect. but i was asking about modifying the xp disk to allow the usb booting support, i have everything else, just not how to allow it to do so

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you having a specific problem following the directions at ngine.de http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176 ?

B

8. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

i do not own a pc, so, is there another way? on a mac

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Get the trial of Parallels, install the XP you intend to install on the USB and voila! You are now the owner of a PC. ;)

Actually most of what's described in the link is editing text files, which the Mac can do quite readily as well. ;)

B

10. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

alright now i can't figure out how to use cab SDK. it flashes and disapears

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Run CMD.EXE first. You need to run it from the Command Line, not by double clicking on it. ;)

Not sure why they didn't suggest using EXPAND.EXE

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8322

B

12. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

alright, i still don't get it, all i need to do is get past cabsdk. how do i expand it / how do i get to be able to follow the instructions on ngine.de to do the cabarc x usbstor.in_????

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you change directory (cd) to the folder where you copied the usbstor.in_ file to? (e.g a folder called CAB on our desktop).

i.e.

Code:
    CD %USERPROFILE%\DESKTOP\CAB
    cabarc x usbstor.in_
    B

14. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

the cabarc file? if so how do i type the commands for this in command prompt

15. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

Alright, figured everything out. but one problem. with that iso, it won't let me burn it in burnatonce from parallels desktop, it says my blank CD isn't blank. so i tried burning it with roxio toast using the copy thing from the iso. now it won't let me boot from CD. it tries to boot(i think) and then proceeds to load OSX. so, i tried it with the origional. worked fine. what am i doing wrong. do i reALLy have to take out the internal like ngine.de says.

thanks