ARGGHH!!! Missed out on dual2 deal by minutes!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2A Batterie, Jul 8, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

GAAAAHMAMAMAHMAH!!!! I've saved up for so long and was just waiting to make the plunge. The deal came along that I was looking for today... refurb 2.0 g5 for $1999. I put it in my shopping cart and called the apple store just to make sure that I couldn't include any other deals or upgrades to the computer. Naturally that took forever to get through and then the apple guy hounded me for another eternity as I told him over and over that I was just checking about buying refurbs and not ordering an additional video card. By the time I got back to my computer to check out, my ID had done a time logout. When I logged back in, all the 2.0 G5's we're gone! In a matter of minutes!!! It's like I was a website, the G5's my bandwidth, and me getting slashdotted! I tried calling the apple store and explain but the operator was a total d**k about the whole thing. I'm so frustrated I could go to CompUSA and buy a PC! Well, that's a little too far. If anyone knows a place where I can get a refurb 2.0 for 1999, please tell me and end my torment.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

LOL, slashdotted. Man, just check back next week, there's bound to be more stock by then. There are always people who can't handle Macs and end up returning it.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

:) Just keep checking- they'll be back :)

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

My university is running a special deals right now on the old dual 1.8 s and 2.0, I managed to get a dual 1.8 for like $1790 or so with taxes on, apparently somebody forgot to tell them the old ones are better.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Please don't commit slashdot, just be patient. I highly doubt that they had the last ones, there will be more as they get refurbished.

6. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

That sucks...Dont worry there will be more. From my experience the best time to check for refurbs is 4:30-5:30 A.M. on weekdays (If you dont mind staying up all night lol)

7. omala macrumors newbie

Here's the other way to miss out: apple's new final cut express promo just started about a week after I ordered my powerbook 12. Grrrrr.

Oh well. I'm still happy with the Pbook, even if I could've saved an extra $200 on software I'm probably going to order soon anyway.

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Maybe I should transfer

Where do you go to school? Maybe I should transfer so that I can buy a G5 cheap. My school store is an example of my school in microsim. They both are rigid in their ways and won't get up to date with technology, real life, and the more productive ways to do things. While I won't embelish in detail about my school's problems, my student store only sells PC's :( (my school is PC based). Even if they gave away PC's, I'd rather sell one of my kidneys for a MAC (the products and the community make it great, NOT the hit-or-miss service we are prone to).

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I bought my dual 2.0 as a refurb a few months ago. Same thing happened to me...over...and over.... But don't worry, they always come back. Just be sure to check constantly and order immediately! It'll work, i promise.
    (however, i'm kicking myself for not waiting and paying $1999 instead of $2399. Oh well. Technology's a bitch sometimes.)

10. Erik2v macrumors newbie

Check back

Yeah,

I ordered my reburb g5 2.0 about a month ago, right after the price drop. They went to $1999. They've been available almost daily. Just get one in the morning. Keep checking... they sell out quickly.

BTW - my refurb came with 1 GIG (instead of 512MB) and 250 GB (instead of 120-160?) hardrive.

Sweet deal for $1999.

11. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm trying to wait, but it's hard!

I've been ready for about a week and a half to buy one, and this is the first time, to my knowledge, the dual 2.0 refurbs were avaliable. Tomorrow I'm odereing about $8,000 of audio equipment from Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com) and they can't come close to that price of $1999, but can at least cut me a deal on a new 2.0. I'm just really anxious plus I have work I'd like to get started on, not to mention learning all of the new audio gear I get. Should I wait or just get the new 2.0 now? I'm afraid of buying all of my stuff but the computer and then sitting around for 3 weeks for the refurbs to come back. I also don't want to buy a new computer from sweetwater and have the refurbs come back the next day. Is there anyway to display an emoticon with a gritting teeth and a bead of sweat dripping down the face?

12. Semperfiero macrumors newbie

If you look again today there is the exact same thing right now (9 am central US time). Don't know how long it will last though :D

13. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

14. svenr macrumors regular

why didn't you do that earlier? I mean you don't have to wait until the Mac is in your shopping cart to inquire about the rules, right?

But anyway, I saw it worked out for you at the end so all is good. :)