Argh! A terrible dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zRedbullz, Sep 27, 2006.

1. zRedbullz macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2006
    Now, I am in a rather desperate need for a new monitor, connected via my Powerbook.

I am having a terrible dilemma about whether I should buy an Apple 23'' cinema display or Dell's 24'' 2407 monitor. Having done my research as well as doing a search here and reading varies of viewpoints, I still can't decide.

The pros and cons seem to weigh each other out after many have reported banding, dead pixels and backlight issues.

Can anyone help decide which of the two I should go for? Or should I bite the bullet and wait?

2. relimw macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2004
    Wait for what?
    I have an Apple 23" works great for what I use it for (photos/games/web dev/misc). Never had an issue with it.
  3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Buy the one your pocket can stand. Don't make it so tough..just go for it.

5. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2006
    Until the issues are resolved or improved. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I do not want to go through the procedures of having to return items because of faulty.

The cost isn't the factor as both monitors are similar in terms of performance and cost. Argh!

It seems as if the Dell is more prone to problems than the ACD. But still, choices, choices, choices!
  6. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Sep 27, 2006
    Where is the dilemma? You say cost isn't a factor and that the Dell is more prone to problems. It seems obvious that the ACD is your choice. What other choices do you have? Just buy the ACD and be happy.
  7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    even though I think the Dell is a better bang for your buck, especially with all the ports it has, if money wasn't a factor, I'd most certainly jump at the ACD.

Thus.. my vote has to be with the ACD - it's gorgeous.
  8. Mundy macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2006
    One thing nobody has mentioned so far is that the Apple Cinema Display uses a far superior panel to the Dell. The Dell 2407 uses the same panel as the new 24" iMac, and you won't have to browse many photography-related forums very long to find that many people feel the 24" iMac panel (and therefore the Dell 2407) is not suitable for accurate color work (check out the forums at as an example).
  9. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2006
    Chicago (847)
    i agree with mundy but i do have one of the 2405s and i love it but i dont use it for photowork i use it for games and movies so im biased i love my dell panel but ive never used a apple panel so i dont know id say go with the dell if you got the 800 bucks