Argh, I hate it when people argue against Macs....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Apr 12, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

...but it's even worse when they pull "facts" out of their ass. Not stuff like "OMG THEY ONLY HAVE 1 BUTTON!!!", but people who are convinced that they truly know what they're talking about when they couldn't be further from the truth.

Some kid on another forum I frequent is convinced that Macs only run at 50% power (W...T...F?), thinks that if you want real speed, go with *Nix (isn't that was OSX is....duh!), ipodhelper.exe and ituneshelper.exe slow down a Mac greatly (because we all know .exe files will run just fine in OSX (no VPC or bootcamp ;)) and that you have no control over your computer (Remember *nix? Yeah, tell a server admin that a root account isn't full control :rolleyes: )

I can deal with the 1 button mice people, because I can tell them all 11 buttons on my MX1000 work fine and they'll shut up, and I can always post links to Mac games when some idiot says there aren't any games for Macs...but when you have people who are so convinced that their bull **** is true that they'll argue it to death, then it gets tough. Although it's a 15 year old kid vs. an IT major in college who has been using Macs for 10 years, 2 years exclusivley...so even though the argument isn't quite yet over...I win :D

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Macs are bad because you can't use a multi-button mouse, because they don't use Intel processors, and because you can't run Windows or Microsoft Office on them.

I guess those Mac-naysayers were right all along. ;)

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just get used to it and laugh about their stupidity.

4. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Macs only have 3% marketshare
    Who uses a Mac
    Macs are expensive
    Mac software is expensive
    Macs are slow
    Macs have no software
    OSX isn't a proper OS.
    Macs are incompatible with the internet.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Playing with fire there! :eek: :D

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I've heard both of these out of one person:

Macs suck cause they can't open jpegs!

Only photographers use macs!

Dont you think they kinda clash? :rolleyes:

8. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Haha. Good one. :D

"Your computer crashes often and you get powerful viruses."

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Macs are expensive. I agree. But as my relatives and friends say: not as expensive as Windows has been security-wise.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you want to fight back to that argument, you can generally use either of these approaches:

1. Compare a Mac's price with the price of a PC, once you add everything a Mac has, including hardware to support all the same interfaces and software to give you all same features that come with the Mac, usually including iLife.

2. Compare total cost of ownership, which includes expenses to maintain the computer, downtime and lack of efficiency when you spend your time dealing with viruses, and the expected useful lifetime of the machine.

And if those don't work, you fall back on: "Being happy with your computer? ... Priceless!".

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Have they made a MasterCard Commercial out of that yet? ...Maybe I'll submit it for their Write a Priceless Ad Promotion. :D