ARGH iMac or powerbook 12 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by snackcakeofd00m, May 8, 2005.

1. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

i am having a problem making my decision on which mac to buy. i have a strict $1800 budget. So i am looking into buying the new 20" iMac with a Wireless KB/M at the end of june or, the 12 inch superdrive powerbook with 768 megs of RAM at the end of June. My main concerns on my decision are based on Power, Portability, and the posibility for a Revision. I want the iMac for its superior power compared to the Powerbook but i would also like the portability of a laptop. i also do not want to purchase a Powerbok and then have anew revision come out a week later. So here are my questions

1) Is the power of the iMac much greater than the power of the Powerbook?

2) I the iMac a good machine?

3)Is the Powerbook 12" a good machine/

4)Is it true that the Powerbooks screen is crappy?

5)Portability is not a must for me, i would like portability but it is not a must. So around how much power would i be sacrificing if i decide to get the Powerbook over the iMac?

6)Which one do you think i will have the best overall expereience with?

thank you in advanced

2. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

what will you do with the machine?

they are both great, I own both.

I prefer the imac. Much more screen+ it is faster

3. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

well at first i will use it for basic computer functions, eventually i will be doing some video editing, photoshop and dreamweaver.

4. steve88 macrumors member

I don't think the 12" PB screen is crappy, it is simply small. If you are thinking of Photoshop and video, I would go with the imac. The much larger screen, power and big hard drive will be your friends.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well as said we need to know what they are going to be used for since it is a lappy and a desktop. ;)

1. Well to an extent yes....1.5 vs 2.0 and G4 vs G5

2. I don't own one but I have hear lots of good stuff about it ;)

3. same as above.

4. Don't know

5. depends on what you do ;)

6. the iMac :rolleyes:

6. snackcakeofd00m thread starter macrumors member

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

8. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

Buy both!

I was in your exact same situation 2 months ago. I sold my 17" PowerBook (1.33/80GB/1.5GB/Superdrive/AE) with 2 years of AppleCare left on it for $2,200. Torn between a newer 15" PB and a 17" iMac G5, I was actually able to get a 17" iMac G5 1.8/256/80/SD AND a 12" iBook G4 1.2/256/30/Combo/AE for $2,100 by buying refurbs from the Apple store. Since then I have upgraded the iMac to 1.5 GB ram and added an airport card and a 250GB hard drive. I have the iMac for power, iBook for portability, and I am ridiculously happy with my machines. Buy refurbs, you'll probably be able to afford both. The Rev. A iMac was selling for $999 last time I checked.