ARGH!! Knights of the Old Republic is driving me crazy!! Damn Dantoine plains!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Archmagination, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2004
    I was having a great time with this game... then I got to the plains on Dantoine and suddenly my computer started acting like a dog!! I dont understand it... I had heard of people complaining about how bad playing in the Undercity was, but my computer didnt even hiccup there and I had every graphic's as high as it could go along with Shadows and Grass on. Here I am on the plains of Dantoine and suddenly I cant move my character without the screen freezing and then suddenly I have ran all the way across the map!! Its become worse than a slideshow now.. it has become a SKIPPING slideshow..Example: Slideshow frames go 1,2,3,4.. freezes on 4 for 15 seconds than I am at frame 30!!! I have tried everthing I can think of to fix it... nothing works!! I shut down Shadows, Grass, enviro detail on low, filters off and there has been NO change!! I do not have any problems inside the Jedi Training conclave or ruins so why am is my computer suddenly acting like it needs to be a dual 10g processor? Can anyone give me any advice to fix this?
  2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Works great on my XBox. I love that game and the sequal despite being unfinished. Good luck.
  3. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2005
    same problem, different system

I had the same problem playing it on PC. I usually calmed down took a deep breath, and then switched characters. sometimes making someone else a leader of your party fixes the problem. sometimes it don't.
    It didn't happen quite so often after i installed the patch. (is there a patch for the mac version?)
    it also happened once or twice in KOTOR2.
  4. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    A similar thing happened to me in the PC version of KOTOR II: The Sith Lords. They both use the same engine, so maybe what I did to solve the problem would work for you: I just saved the game and reloaded it. Everything worked flawlessly from there on.
  5. frojas macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2005
    10.3.8 and some Video Cards

What type of computer and Video Card are you using? I have an iBook with an ATI 9200 Mobility and I too had problems with Dantooine. Something in the 10.3.8 patch causes huge problems for Kotor under certain video cards. Look at this thread at the macaddict forums:

Brad Oliver, one of the developers, suggested that I downgrade to 10.3.7. After downgrading the games performance improved dramatically.

6. apilotguy macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2005
    Similar Problems

I just finished SwKotor on the PC yesterday....... :)

I had the same problem with the characters freezing and the frame skipping on the PC version. I even had problems on Taris. I didn't play the game for a couple months then after I installed the latest patch everything worked like a charm and I have had no problems since. Just check to make sure that your version is the most up to date one for the Mac and hope that helps you.

Happy gaming...
  7. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2003
    I had the same problem. I contacted Aspry and by the time they got back to me, I was on another planet. So I'm not sure if this will work, but here is what they told me:

<b>Original Question
    This game is unplayable on my system. I get to a level and my character
    won't stop running. other people in game forums have expressed the same problem.
    please fix it.

Aspyr Media Support Response

Hello Anthony',

I recommend the following troubleshooting steps. Try running the Repair Disk Permissions function of the Disk Utility located in Applications/Utilities. Also, avoid installing the game to Applications or the Desktop; there are permissions conflicts that can arise when games are installed here. Games work best when they are installed in the Users/Shared folder or in a separate games folder on the top/root level of your hard drive.

If the game is not currently stored in one of the two aforementioned locations then sometimes just moving the game is not enough and it is necessary to reinstall. Reinstalling also gets rid of any game data that may have become corrupt. Be sure to trash the game's preferences files located in Home/Library/Preferences and Home/Documents when you do so. Then just trash the current copy of the game and install a new copy.

There is also a patch for the game available here:
    Select article #1184

Aspyr Support Team</b>
  8. Archmagination thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2004
    I am running 10.3.9, I have Radeon 9800 Pro and I found out looking at a bunch of KOTOR graphic problems links that the KOTOR game system has problems with ATI cards... apparently Bioware optimized it for Nvidia cards and left several glitches in for ATI cards. I am running the latest patch so thats not the problem.
  9. frojas macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2005
    So as I mentioned before I was on an ATI 9200 Mobility and downgrading to 10.3.7 improved performance to the point that I could turn on grass and shadows and my game would still run well. Before the downgrade Dantooine was unplayable. You could try contacting Brad Oliver at Aspyr. He seemd to have a better handle on what to do to improve performance than the people who send out the form letter you got.