Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
I was wondering if anyone would know why I'm having horrible pain in the back right bottom of my mouth. Everyone knows that behind the molars, in the jaw, there's a strip of gum. Normally, mine are flat and don't bother me, but that's not the case right now. The left gum-bottom is flat and normal, but the right gum-bottom is now a huge lump that's so large that I can't clamp my jaws together.

My mother thinks that they're my wisdom teeth, but doesn't 15 seem to young to have them come in? I thought wisdom teeth only arrived in a person's late twenties. In either case, what do you guys think? Has anyone ever felt this, or am I just weird?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
no, that is not too early. if they are impacted your other molars are in jeopardy of damage. you need an X-ray, sooner rather than later.

it might just be irritation of the gums (popcorn stuck back there or something got cut, etc) or even an infection. either way a dentist is needed at the moment.

good luck. hope you feel better.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
2nyRiggz said:
Go to the dentist so he can use that nice sharp hook on you....oh and tell him you like the pincher;)

Bless

now now, that is not very nice. :p

by the way, to the OP: 15 is statistically "early" but not unheard of for wisdom teeth to rear their ugly heads. better see the man with the hook... i mean dentist.

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
Oh, crap.

Fearing that this might be an infection, I risned my mouth with antiseptic mouthwash. To make a long sotry short, i'm bleeding. What do I do now? Wait until the morning?

On that same note, htank god I had some percocet left over from my surgery. The pain would be unberaable without it...

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I know many people that have had their wisdom teeth removed when they were about 16 or so. I'm almost 19 and mine just started coming in. It's quite painful on the right but not on the left (I can actually see tooth on the left side). I'm getting x-rays next week. I hope your pain isn't anything serious.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I'm 15 and had my wisdom teeth out earlier this year (I'm 16 in 2 weeks). 15 is about the time they start to take wisdom teeth out, becuase if they are not removed before they start to come in, they can impact, which is bad. Go to a dentist, 15 may be rare for them to come in but is certanly not unheardof(sp?).

Good luck.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I've had one growing in for a good couple years. I was goin' to get it out in January, but something with my insurance messed everything up. I think it's going to start hurtin soon. I gotta get mine out. Mine's completely sideways. I'm 21.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I got my wisdom teeth right at that age - they can really hurt. I remember just gnawing away at my gums with anything I could.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Shamus said:
What is the point of wisdom teeth if they cause so many problems??
Wikipedia's take on them, here. One idea is that they are left over from a past time when human diet required the use of such teeth... but have since become superfluous and even an annoyance.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Shamus said:

flaw of evolution.

mac_head101 said:
Oh, crap.

Fearing that this might be an infection, I risned my mouth with antiseptic mouthwash. To make a long sotry short, i'm bleeding. What do I do now? Wait until the morning?

On that same note, htank god I had some percocet left over from my surgery. The pain would be unberaable without it...

i want to hear the long story. ;)

most likely you can safely wait till morning. do get to a dentist tomorrow though. take your temperature, make sure it isn't high (infection) and use that antiseptic mouthwash a few more times until you can see the dentist.
thank goodness for percocet. ;)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'll be 20 later this week and have had my wisdom teeth for a few years now. 3 of 4 are growing in crooked and I need to get them removed. But they don't hurt, so I'm putting the removal off.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
yg17 said:
I'll be 20 later this week and have had my wisdom teeth for a few years now. 3 of 4 are growing in crooked and I need to get them removed. But they don't hurt, so I'm putting the removal off.

the longer you wait the worse it is. </rule of thumb>

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Shamus said:

Maybe they give you wisdom. What else could they be for? :rolleyes:

Ok bad joke. w/e.

But as other people have said I think its a flaw of evolution. :(

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 13 - they arrived early in my case I suppose.

But I second what everyone else is saying - assuming you're able to stop the bleeding for the moment, you can probably wait until morning to call the dentist - but do it ASAP once you wake up.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Mine started to come in when I was 12
now I have all of them and no problems.
not going to get them removed.
I love showing my phys anth/osteology students that I have a full set of teeth.

So i might be your wisdom tooth - they do start growing ~12 years of age so you are in the ball park for it to try to erupt...and it got stuff and went bad...
dentist will pull it out...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you get them removed when they have already gone through the gums, it'll hurt a lot. If you get them removed before they start coming out, they'll have to cut your gums and remove them, but apparently it's less painful this way.

I'd argue that though. Three of my wisdom teeth were removed within an hour, while the 4th one took over 2 hours. :(

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
When I got my top 2 wisdoms they grew in at such an angle that they grew INTO the molars in front of them. There were no signs that I was getting my wisdoms, although as a child I remember the dentist taking an x-ray of my teeth and telling my mother that the top wisdoms had to be surgically removed before they started to grown in due to the angle they were at. Years later it's coming up on Labor Day weekend. My head started to pound and then my last 2 molars were hurting really bad, under the surface. The pain was excrutiating. Labor Day weekend, meaning I had to suffer like this for 3 days. When I got to the dentist the x-ray showed the wisdoms were actually inside the molars that were in front of them. The dentist was amazed that I was still conscious. In the end I had to have the 2 wisdoms and the 2 molars removed. Moral of the story...don't waste time when it comes to your wisdom teeth. Get an x-ray. The pain I felt that weekend was worse than childbirth.

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed when I was 16. They weren’t causing problems yet but since I had braces which corrected a few problems we didn’t want to take any chances with stuff being undone.

I remember that it really wasn’t so bad, I took painkillers and rested and felt fine in a couple of days.

Go to the dentist and see what he says. Good luck!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Definitely sounds like wisdom teeth. If that's what it turns out to be, and you don't have them removed, I'm afraid to tell you that you have a lot more of this in your future.
I don't remember when my wisdom teeth started to come in, but I'm 22 now - getting close to 23 - and they are still working their way out. It seems like they decide to come in a little bit at a time as to not make things so unbearable that you want to die. Funny you should ask about this, though, because in the past few days my bottom left one has been working its way a bit further up, and it has not been a treat.
Like everyone said, though, get it checked out. As long as there's nothing WRONG with them, and you feel like you can deal with this pain off-and-on for a while, just roll with it. You'll find litle tricks that help ease the pain at least for a little while.
Also, if/when you get a little flap of gum and it eventually comes off, it can be gross, but don't be freaked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.