Argh!! Package Authoring Error When Installing iPod Updater

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nomad01, Oct 11, 2005.

1. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'm trying to (re)install the latest iPod Updater and it says "There is nothing to install".

When I look at the installer log, it says this:

Oct 11 18:52:28: Package Authoring Error: Infinite loop between <choice> attributes and mixed state aborted.

Anyone have any ideas? I was trying to reinstall iPod Updater so my Mac would recognise the nano as all other attempts have failed.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you removed the original?

An up-to-date Mac really should recognise the nano from the first plug-in so what happened the very first time you plugged the nano in? Was it completely unrecognised or did it give an error message?

3. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well I thought I'd removed the original. Is there a magic way of doing it that I've screwed up?

First time I plugged the nano in I got exactly the same response... ie nothing. No error.

I've tried downloading the updater again but its still saying there's nothing to install.

Any other advice? I've searched the Apple docs and the only thing I can see that I haven't tried is an archive/install of Mac OS X. REALLY don't want to have to do that if I can avoid it. :(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, removing the old installer should be as simple as dragging it to the trash and emptying the trash.

You're not trying to use an old Firewire cable are you? Could you try a different USB port?

5. nomad01 thread starter macrumors 68000

nomad01

That's okay then... that's how I removed it. Somehow, I feel that Tiger doesn't know it's gone though. Software Update doesn't recognise that I need it (which is how I downloaded it initially) and as I said, when I try to install it, it won't let me.

I'm definitely using USB. Same cable that I used to connect it to my PC initially. I've tried using all the USB ports that I have with the same results.
    :(