ARGH! why can't I pay DIVX on my 266 iMAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chitania, Oct 6, 2002.

1. chitania macrumors newbie

am i being stoopid, or what, tryina play divex movies on my iMac?
    (266Mhz, trayloader machine - 96 MbRAM)

My friend tim has a posh titanium g4 powerbook, and has no probs (obviously) playing divx on quicktime 6.0 after using DivX Validator 5.0.

I, on the other hand, even after at last figuring out how to download firmware updaters to be able to install OS 9.2, and downloading Quicktime 6.0 and getting my friend's downloaded DivX Validator 5.0 and DivX Doctor II, have not been able to sucessfully validate an AVI... i used Divx Doctor on one, changing it to a MOV but when I opened it in Quicktime it said:

"The required compressor could not be found"

and when i attempt to validate anything in Divx Validator I find the dialogue:

"the AVI was unable to be validated; it does not use the DivX video codec"

I once did manage to validate a large AVI file which IS in DIVX format, but when i opened it in Quicktime 6 it told me that the software required to play the file is not available on the Quicktime server - my friend has no problem playing it on his G4 book...

It the problem because of my insufficient processing bus? or lack of RAM?

If anyone is able to assist me with this problem, please please do.
    I thankyou from the bottom of my heart.

all the best,

chi

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

are you sure you have DivX codecs for quicktime installed in your system folder>extensions?

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Actaually, its System Folder>Extensions>Quicktime Extensions.. just clearing things up :)

Anyways, I also think that that's your problem.. you must not have it installed in the correct place...

irmongoose

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i messed around for ages trying to get DivX to play in Quicktime, but i eventually gave up and now i use Video Lan Client. you can get it from version tracker and it plays all DivX/avi stuff perfectly- no more messing around with codecs.:D

5. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

For me it works flawlessly in MacOSX/QT6 .... I use the DivX doctor that converts the whole thing into a QT .mov, takes about 2 minutes. Then you can play it in QT, as long as you have the 3ivx Delta codec installed.

Go here... http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html

... and here: http://doctor.3ivx.com/

Have fun!

groovebuster

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You could have a bad divx file. Is your friend with the TiBook able to play the file that you are having trouble with?

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i still say stop tryinng to mess around with codecs and just get a DivX player...VLC

nice & easy:D

8. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

If you only want to watch them, of course! :) But I like the comfort to do anything I like to with them in QuickTime... like making a VideoCD or putting them on a DVD by converting them... :) so everyone it's own! :)

groovebuster

9. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

Yeah, VLC rules... it plays almost every movie with any video/audio compression combination.

10. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

listen to cb911

I was having the same problem with AVIs. CB911 is so right, once you get VLC, you'll never go back to anything else. Why is it Apple can't learn from VLC?

11. multifinder macrumors member

vlc is OK, but even version 0.4.4 fails to play half the divx files I have, although they play fine on the Wintel laptop work gave me. On the Mac, I use vlc and 3ivx/Divx Doctor and between them most divx files play fine. Having to doctor files before I can play them is pretty annoying though. It seems that divx is one area PCs have it easy compared to Macs, which is infuriating--I wish Apple would come out with iDivx, but something tells me that's not too likely...

If you're having trouble with 3ivx, the forums there are pretty helpful:

3ivx Forums

Although on a 266MHz G3 you might be screwed--I have a 400MHz G3 and it drops frames like crazy on 640x480 video at 24fps when there's any motion. That's one of the main reasons I'm going to buy a new Mac soon...dual 867s should fix that problem nicely...