Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Why is the Verdana font everywhere on OS X? Aside from Lucida Grande, it is the most ubiquitous font I see on my system. I see it on most Web pages I navigate to, for example. I have a different font set in Safari, but apparently that doesn't apply to every page. Is there a way to override a page's font for one's own? I can tolerate Verdana in Office 2004, but seeing it on almost every Web page is hard on the eyes! LOL

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Just out of interest, why do you find the font so offensive on they eyes?

The reason that it exists on almost every webpage is because it is really the only good looking websafe font at smaller sizes.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Well the fonts you see on webpages are typically defined by the web pages or their attached style sheets. Most designers define fonts in sets of three or more... meaning if you don't have font 1 on your system, it defaults to font 2, and if you have neither, it defaults to font 3. If it really bothers you, delete Verdana from your system. Your pages will display the next font on the designer's list.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
decksnap said:
Well the fonts you see on webpages are typically defined by the web pages or their attached style sheets. Most designers define fonts in sets of three or more... meaning if you don't have font 1 on your system, it defaults to font 2, and if you have neither, it defaults to font 3. If it really bothers you, delete Verdana from your system. Your pages will display the next font on the designer's list.
Yup

if you view source (command + option + u) you can see in the style sheet in the body tag that MR's primary font is verdana.

Blame Arn. That's not apple's fault.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
i dont like verdana when it's too large because it gets really wide..

i like myriad pro sometimes..but even that's getting overused now..!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.