Arghhhh! How does UK import duty work?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr Skills, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

:confused:

I am thinking of buying a microphone from a shop in America and getting it sent to the UK, but I don't know how much customs will charge and every website I look at makes my head hurt. Can anyone give me a simple formula for that kind of item?

2. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Thanks! Unfortunately, that's one of the sites that was already making my head hurt!

On the positive side, I saw a PDF there that I hadn't noticed before that gives a rough guide for common goods. Of course it does not mention microphones but I will assume they are charged the same as "mixing decks" unless I find out otherwise...

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, Im finding this to be a real pain myself. Currently waiting on an iBook (to the value of $350 or £190) and ive been researching this myself. If it gets shipped USPS (US version of royal mail) it will get transfered to ParcelForce Worldwide when it enters this country, now, depending on the value will depend on if you have to pay import tax. ParcelForce will pay this for you automatically, however, before they will deliver your item you will receive a letter saying you owe ParcelForce X Number of pounds. Exactly how much I am unsure of as I am yet to receive my iBook or a letter from ParcelForce.

4. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

It's soooo complicated. Even the offical explanation on the UK Customs site links you to loads of other sites where you are meant to look things up on tables and come back... why can't someone make an automated website that guides you through it?

And if it's too complicated to do that, then the system is really. too. complicated. How can you be sure you're being charged fairly?

5. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I've imported quite a few items from the US, and I've never been charged duty, only VAT at 17.5 per cent.

Bear in mind that Royal Mail charge a clearance fee of £4.00.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

When I've had small things shipped from Asia I've had them marked as gifts or sometimes (memory cards normally) documents! No import duty.

Do this at your own risk. It is probably a criminal offense and so on...

7. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Bought tons of stuff from the USA and Hong-Kong and only once got charged import duty and that was on a digitial camera from HK. Still worked out cheaper than the UK even with that added, about £10 on a £250 camera.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

You can't. It's annoying as hell too.

I moved here and sent up my own stuff by mail and got charged a VAT on ONE (out of the EIGHT or so) of the boxes. They recommended I pay it (£35) and try to get a refund, blah blah blah or I wouldn't probably see my things for another month, IF they even waived the fee/didn't send it back, etc. Total load of crap. I paid, got my things, still haven't bothered with the refund.

It seems to be hit or miss if they catch the parcel and mark it for a random amount of VAT levy. <shrugs>