arguments under the water

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    in the movie "crimson tide" with gene hackman and denzel washington, there is a conflict between the commanding officer (hackman) of a us submarine and it's executive officer (washington)

in the recent movie i saw today, k-19: the widowmaker with harrison ford and liam neeson, there is a conflict between the commanding officer (ford) and his "xo" (neeson) in a soviet submarine

in one or both cases, if you saw the movie(s), who do you think was in the right?
  2. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    Re: K-19 (by the way, that movie kicked ass) - definitely Neeson. I mean, if Ford hadn't done that crazy "let's see how far we can take it" nonsense, nothing would have gotten broken in the first place. He was a showoff and I didn't like him.

Although he does have a smaller nose.
  3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    for the american public who likes fast moving movies, this movie flopped from the reviews i read...kind of like apollo 13 which was technical and really drawn out

but being a techie i liked that side of it and didn't mind it being so cerebral vs. a fast mover like top gun or rambo...i expected an action flick as opposed to such a thinking person's movie...das boot was also a real podering type of movie

i also think liam neeson, the seasoned skipper, was better than harrison ford, who played the armchair captain with no real experience who got to his rank by marrying a soviet politician's daughter

i liked how the cowardly lieutenant saved the ship and the danger of a thermonuclear war and came out a hero in the end...he basically saved the world
  4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Apollo 13 was a great film... I loved the whole technical aspect behind the movie storyline and the way it was executed...... :D

I've only seen Crimson Tide, it was on UK television not long ago....... great film...... although i don't really know much about Navy professional ethics and conducts to give a proper and educated opinion...... Although Washington was ultimately correct in guessing the correct decision, Hackman was only following the correct procedure from what I gather and my understanding of the plot...... both were correct, and both were wrong........