arguments under the water

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the movie "crimson tide" with gene hackman and denzel washington, there is a conflict between the commanding officer (hackman) of a us submarine and it's executive officer (washington)

in the recent movie i saw today, k-19: the widowmaker with harrison ford and liam neeson, there is a conflict between the commanding officer (ford) and his "xo" (neeson) in a soviet submarine

in one or both cases, if you saw the movie(s), who do you think was in the right?

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: K-19 (by the way, that movie kicked ass) - definitely Neeson. I mean, if Ford hadn't done that crazy "let's see how far we can take it" nonsense, nothing would have gotten broken in the first place. He was a showoff and I didn't like him.

Although he does have a smaller nose.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

for the american public who likes fast moving movies, this movie flopped from the reviews i read...kind of like apollo 13 which was technical and really drawn out

but being a techie i liked that side of it and didn't mind it being so cerebral vs. a fast mover like top gun or rambo...i expected an action flick as opposed to such a thinking person's movie...das boot was also a real podering type of movie

i also think liam neeson, the seasoned skipper, was better than harrison ford, who played the armchair captain with no real experience who got to his rank by marrying a soviet politician's daughter

i liked how the cowardly lieutenant saved the ship and the danger of a thermonuclear war and came out a hero in the end...he basically saved the world

4. iGav macrumors G3

Apollo 13 was a great film... I loved the whole technical aspect behind the movie storyline and the way it was executed...... :D

I've only seen Crimson Tide, it was on UK television not long ago....... great film...... although i don't really know much about Navy professional ethics and conducts to give a proper and educated opinion...... Although Washington was ultimately correct in guessing the correct decision, Hackman was only following the correct procedure from what I gather and my understanding of the plot...... both were correct, and both were wrong........