Ariel sharon on the way out too?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JW8725, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I recall King Hussain of Jordan dying, then went Yassar Arafat. Now seems Sharons time is limited if not up.

Where does the peace process go from here? I'm not a big fan of what Israel does in the middle east, especially on Palestinians nor am I a big fan of the patheticness Palestinian millitants undertake in Israel. Isn't it about time there was flippin peace? I'm sick to death of this wrangle. Prominant leaders have come and gone, and still nothing much has happened.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Nothing much will ever change. They hate each other too much.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed. the only way there will ever be a change is if one fraction is able to completely overwhem and overtake the other and obtain their goals. until that happens. its going to be fighting. and lots of it.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Doesn't look good for Sharon. But I bet he's pleased he outlived Arafat...

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, I couldn't help but think the same thing. Two of the scummiest people on the planet IMO Israel will be better off without him. Maybe Israel will be able to elect someone who was born after 67. At least Sharon made an effort with Gaza so maybe his god will find him redeemable.

New blood isn't a bad thing, there's been quite a change over lately, the guy in Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Sharon, Arafat, The King of Morocco, Jordan and Qaddafi has had a change of heart regarding the west. I think the ME is on the road to somewhere but there until the birthrate comes down in Muslim countries, there's little hope for any substantial change.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

So many people around the world are disgusted by the seemingly endless conflict, but the distrust and hatred between the parties is visceral with historical roots that do not lend themselves to a meaningful solution. Killing is pervasive in the Mideast and a part of the fabric of everyday life and as long as that cycle continues, rivers of blood will fill the streets for a long time to come.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sharon might have a dubious personal history, but lest we forget, he put his political life on the line over the past year to get the peace process off dead center. A lot of people in Israel hate him for turning Gaza over to the Palestinian Authority, enough that he'd just announced a break from the party he founded. In the end, I think his legacy will be mixed. The question now is whether a new generation of Israelis and Arabs can take over, and continue crawling on their hands and knees towards peace and reconciliation, or take the easier path, a mad dash back towards war.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

:hears Jeopardy theme in his head:

Um, what is war?

Seriously though, Sharon had finally begun leaning towards peace. The guy replacing him I know nothing about. Even if he has the same will, there's a question as to whether he can command the same attention Sharon did.

Let's just hope things don't crumble again. Though I'm sure some in the US wouldn't be displeased if Isreal got all militant again. Gotta kick those heathens out of the Holy Land and all. Too bad our prez is one of 'em.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Sorry for the double post.

the next guy is gonna have a tough time explaining how negotiating with the Palestinians isn't "caving in to terror", "cutting and running", "letting the terrorists win" and such. Sharon only pulled it off because of his impeccable conservative credentials. And with W on his back, it'll be double hard.

Yeah, I'm think the peace process just took a huge step back.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Alright folks, you have to read this to believe it. From the Right Reverend Foot-in-Mouth:

JTA

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, but i put more blame on the Palastinians then Israel. They have started lobbing rockets into Israel again. Lets just face it the palastinians have no intention of living in peace with Israel ever.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

And God is punishing Pat Robertson with increasingly severe dementia for giving us the 700 Club.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

which street? mine is silent.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There is no doubt, whether Sharon lives or not, that his removal from the scene will remake Israeli politics. What bothers me is that now that he is gravely ill he is being painted as a man of peace. Even in the relative terms of the middle east, this is stretching the phrase to the point of breaking with a man whose life has been one of slaughter and opposition to every meaningful step toward peace in his lifetime. Because he embarked on a course that means to force boundaries on the Palestinians through unilateral actions does not make him a man of peace.

It is sadly ironic that his passing from the political scene may force Israel to choose between a real path of peace and one of continual belligerent denial of Palestinian rights. It is unlikely his agenda of unilateralism, masked as a peace process, will survive him.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How do you make peace with people who want you dead period?. Lets face it Israel will only have peace when they wipe out the Palastinians or the Palastinians wipe out Israel then there will be peace.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is that what the palestinians really want? or is it simply their own country?

20. iGary Guest

iGary

But it's OK for Israel to drop bombs on families houses and kill children?

It's also OK for Israel to bulldoze entire Palestinian neighborhooods?

You probably forgot that a few Israeli Prime Ministers also bombed hotels.

Then, they enjoyed afternoons trying to blow up American ships:

Isn't that, uh, terrorism? :rolleyes:

Both sides of this thing are equally ****ed up.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I won't "face it" that your description of millions of Palestinians (check your spelling, DHM) is accurate. If you tried to find out something, anything really, from the Palestinian perspective you would find many, many people who want a just and lasting peace with their Israeli neighbors. One side dictating the terms of settlement, as Sharon has tried to do, is not a recipe for peace.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

In other news, Tropical Storm Zeta took a direct turn for Virginia Beach, Va., the headquarters of the 700 Club, mimicking an earlier hurricane that hit the city mere days after Pat Robertson said that Florida would be destroyed for its tolerance of gays.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks for the spelling correction. They want peace all right thats why everyday a suicide bomber blows up folks, thats why rockets are shot blindly into israel after Israel opened Gaza. Somehow i just dont believe you on this one Sayhey. They want peace as much as George Bush wants to play golf with Saddam.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Robertson is merely expressing apocalyptic Bible prophesy. And guess who shares those views?

25. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

DHM, there are fundamentalists on both sides of this fight who will never agree to peace. They will do whatever they can do to prevent it. The point is that there are also millions of people on both sides who desperately want a just and lasting peace. Included in that last category are real legitimate political leaders among both Palestinians and Israelis. If you really want proof of this I'm willing to give you as many links to such people as you'd like, but first you'll have to question the idea that one side is totally right and the other is totally wrong.