Aristide says he was abducted

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Netscape News

His account would jive with independant reports that he was dragged onto the plane by marines.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This raises the question of what the Bush administration sees of interest in Haiti and why they made this move.

The USA has generally disregarded Haitians and deported their boat people while allowing other Carribean refugees to stay in the states.

Why? In 1804, the slaves of Haiti became the first such population to successfully rebel against their masters and form a nation. You can imagine that didn't fly well in the South, and still doesn't.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did someone discover oil in Haiti?;)

I heard this is the 33rd coup in the 200 or so years of it being Haiti. Not a real good track record.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think it would be a bit odd for him to voluntarily resign and then claim he was abducted. If it were his decision, he'd already be past that point and would be looking to move on with his private life in exile.

I guess the real question is: "what really happened?"

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

possibilities:

1. help secure haitian vote in FL
    2. keeps marines from fighting yet another irregular force
    3. puts him in role as peacekeeper
    4. does the US need cheap sugar?
    5. does the US need another military base there (i.e. carribbean)?
    6. lack of violence may help keep refugee numbers low

or did Aristide simply say something that pissed off bush?

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I don't know if Aristide's version is correct. He has never been the most stable of personalities. It is however entirely possible that the US did indeed force him on to the plane. Heaven knows they cut the legs out from under him in the last week with the State Department's retreat from the principle of support for elected government. Why did Bush do this? Because Aristide is a wild card and a nationalist. The US has never liked such characters in its "back yard." Also given Bush's temperament it could have been just because Clinton helped restore him to power. It does expose all the rhetoric that the Bushies have been spewing forth about democracy. Seems it's not so important if those in power are folks you don't like and can't control. Chavez maybe next.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's entirely possible that aristide agreed to flee, as colin powell described, but changed his mind at the last minute and was, er, persuaded to follow through

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I agree that maybe what happened. What I'm really interested in is where the money for the arms for the rebels came from - the US? We have just embraced some very unsavory folks in a new coalition government to replace Aristide. Say what you will about Aristide, but he represented the hopes of millions of dirt poor Haitians and it was through their support that he was democratically elected. Who in this new gang of thieves will speak for them? Seems like Bush is content to go back to the days when the will of ordinary Haitians did not matter.

9. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Here is a great article on the situation in Haiti:

Findlaw