Arizonians complain about use of the word "Haboob"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jul 22, 2011.

1. macrumors G5

yg17

You can't even make this **** up....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/us/22haboob.html?_r=3&ref=us

Some other evil America hating words of Arabic origin that only terrorists in Al Qaeda use: admiral, alcohol, algebra, apricot, candy, coffee, gauze, guitar, jar, lemon, magazine, mattress, orange, soda, sofa, tuna and zero

2. macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I live in Phoenix and I love the word. it's fun to say.... :)

3. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lets be fair labeling all Arizonians as dumbass here is not fair. It is a very select few that are idiots.

4. thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I agree it's not fair, that's why I'm not labeling all Arizonians as dumbass racists.

5. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Haboob is boobah backwards.

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Maybe they should check out this article from Wikipedia, of which I'll highlight just a few [source] ...

List of Arabic loanwords in English

Arabic loanwords in English are words acquired directly from Arabic or else indirectly by passing from Arabic into other languages (usually one or more of the Romance languages) and then into English. Some of these Arabic loanwords are not of ancient Arabic origin, but are loanwords within Arabic itself, coming into Arabic from Persian, Greek or other languages.

admiral
    أمير amīr, commander. Amīr al-bihār = "commander of the seas" was a title in use in Arabic Sicily, and was continued by the Normans in Sicily in a Latinized form, and then adopted successively by Genoese and French. Modern French is "amiral". An English form under King Edward III (14th century) was "Amyrel of the Se". Insertion of the 'd' was doubtless influenced by allusion to common Latin "admire".

algebra
    الجبر al-jabr, completing, or restoring broken parts. The mathematical sense comes from the title of the book "al-kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī ḥisāb al-jabr wa al-muqābala", "The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completing and Balancing" by the 9th century mathematician al-Khwarizmi. When translated to Latin in the later 12th century, the book's Latin title contained the newly minted word "Algebrae" representing al-jabr.

assassin
    حشاشين ḥashāshīn, an Arabic nickname for the Nizari branch of Ismailism in the Levant during the Crusades era. This sect carried out assassinations against chiefs of other sects including Christians at the time. Conversion of the sect's nickname to the meaning of "assassin" happened in Italian after the Crusades era was over.

candy
    قندي qandī, sugared. Arabic is from Persian qand = "cane [sugar]", and possibly from Sanskritic before that, since cane sugar developed in India. "Candi" entered all the Western languages in the later medieval centuries.

coffee, café
    قهوة qahwa, coffee. Qahwa (itself of uncertain origin) begot Turkish kahveh which begot Italian caffè. The latter form entered most Western languages in and around the early 17th century. The early 17th century West also has numerous records in which the word-form was directly from the Arabic, e.g. Cahoa in 1610, Cahue in 1615, Cowha in 1619. Turkish phonology does not have a 'W'. The change from 'W' to 'V' in going from Arabic qahwa to Turkish kahveh can be seen in many other loanwords going from Arabic into Turkish.[34] [42] Cafe mocha, a type of coffee, is named after the city of Mocha, Yemen, which was an early coffee exporter.

guitar
    قيتارة qītāra, a kind of guitar. "The name reached English several times, including 14th century giterne from Old French. The modern word is directly from Spanish guitarra, from Arabic qitar." (Etymonline.com). The Arabic is descended from ancient Greek kithara (which might be connected to ancient Persian Tar meaning string, and string instrument.

jar (food or drink container)
    جرّة jarra, earthen vase. First records in English are in 1418 and 1421 as a container for olive oil.[51] Spanish jarra has 13th century records.[4] Arabic jarra has records going back centuries earlier.

magazine
    مخازن makhāzin (from khazan, to store), storehouses. Used in Latin with that meaning in 1228.[4] Still used that way in French and Italian. Sometimes used that way in English in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, but more commonly in English a magazine was an arsenal, a gunpower store, and later a receptacle for storing bullets. A magazine in the publishing sense of the word started out in English in the 17th century meaning a store of information about military or navigation subjects.

orange
    نارنج nāranj, orange. Arabic descends from Sanskritic nāraṅga = orange. The orange tree came from India.

racquet or racket (tennis)
    The French fr:raquette, Italian it:racchetta, and the synonymous English racquet are usually accepted as derived from medieval Latin rascete which meant the bones of the wrist (carpus). The earliest records of the Latin are in two 11th century Latin medical texts, one of which was by the Arabic-speaking Constantinus Africanus, whose work drew from Arabic medical sources. (Crossref borage). Today's etymology dictionaries all suppose the Latin to be from Arabic and the most popular theory derives it from راحة rāha(t) = "palm of the hand". A less popular theory derives it from رسغ rusgh = "bones of the wrist".

sugar
    سكّر sukkar, sugar. Ultimately from Sanskritic sharkara = sugar. Among the earliest records in English are these entries in the account books of an abbey in Durham: year 1302 "Zuker Marok", 1309 "succre marrokes", 1310 "Couker de Marrok", 1316 "Zucar de Cypr[us]".

tuna
    التون al-tūn, tunafish. Ancient Greek and classical Latin thunnus [= tunafish] -> medieval Arabic al-tūn -> medieval Spanish atún -> American Spanish tuna -> American English tuna. Note: Modern Italian tonno, French thon, and English tunny are descended from the classical Latin without an Arabic intermediary. [133] The Albacore species of tunafish got its name from Spanish & Portuguese albacora, which might be from Arabic, which in Arabic might have designated tuna species but probably not albacore.[95] [134] Bonito is another tuna species. Some say this name may be a Spanish-ization of Arabic بينيث bainīth; others say it may be simply from Spanish bonito = "pretty good".

zero
    صفر sifr, zero. Arabic ṣifr -> Latin zephirum (used by Fibonacci in 1202) -> Old Italian zefiro -> contracted to zero in Old Italian before 1485 -> French zéro 1485[4] -> English zero 1604; not common in English before 1800.[33] Crossref Cipher.

7. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh. I expected something more like a ha'penny. This is my disappointed face: :(

8. macrumors 6502a

You know, I might just make Google News' results for the query "Arizona" my homepage.

9. macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Hey! What will the soldiers coming back to MacRumors think when they read this thread? :mad:

10. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

That they should have fragged their admirals?

11. macrumors 6502a

ALways thought was a very american word, not often used in England except for shops and such.

12. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Is tuna really Arabic? It's used in Spanish and Portuguese.

13. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Probably after the fact. Which came first? Damned if I know. I'm stuppit. :eek:

14. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where did he say that?

15. EricNau, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Guess we probably shouldn't use the word Tsunami either. Sounds so... foreign.

16. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

What will the World War II veterans think? :eek:

17. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I hope they're rightfully offended.

And don't get me started with the use of Nuée ardente in America. Such a disrespect to those who fought in the Franco-American War.

If only Americans would use American words. Like hamburger, pie, and errr, spaghetti, and... garage.

18. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Really?? So what's the english word for candy?

19. macrumors 65816

torbjoern

sweets

20. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

To say nothing of Spaghetti-Os.

I call it a car hole.

21. macrumors 6502a

Man cave.

22. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Um...in familiar linguistic territory?

:confused: :confused: Wow, is this woman channeling Palin, or what? :rolleyes:

23. macrumors G4

skunk

I'm complaining about the use of the word "Arizonians".

24. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Don't forget Freedom Fries.

25. macrumors 68020

localoid

My II cents worth...

If Roman numerals were good enough for Jesus, they should be plenty good enough for the USA!

Just say no to Arabic numerals!