Arkansas teacher not allowed to use the "e-word"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Rome used to rule much of the civilized world.

China used to be centuries or almost millennia ahead of everyone else in many fields

Islamic states used to be the most scientifically advanced in the world.

Perhaps you've wondered what it was like to be in those countries as they fell. Most of them took centuries to do so.

We're lucky enough to see it happen in a decade or two.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Too true.

Before long we'll have stepped back 500 years and some other power will be moving up...yet the people who are dragging the country into the dirt will be none the wiser...

Blind following is a bad bad way to be.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A kid once told me she wasn't allowed to say the "E" word. I asked what she meant and she whispered "idiot".

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Why did she insult you for asking?

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I get it! Don't know about those from Arkansas, though. :D

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Welcome to the United "Christian" States of America. Why don't we just elect Falwell or Robertson President and be done with it? It'll push me to move to Canada sooner.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It sounds like the good old USSR. What a nightmare it must be to be a teacher in Arkansas.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There aren't any teachers there any more. They've just changed the titles to start with "pr" instead of 't'.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

From what I last recall, winding through the roads around Hardy, the "pr" could well be replaced with "cr".

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nice.;)

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Next they won't be allowed to say that earth is round. And if they do then we'll stone them.

e

12. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

A friend of mine went down to Colorodo on a teaching exchange (forgive me i can't remember the specific county). She was repremanded and kicked off the exchange in her first week because she discussed, out of the classroom, multiple topics including evolution and homosexuality. She was unaware of any wrong doing and was not informed until she was terminated from the program.

13. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Sorry, border's closed - nothing to see here! :cool:

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Gee, thanks, now I KNOW I lived in a ****hole state. Thanks.

I say we form a militia and throw our current government. Enoguh of this nonsense. We should also not allow Churches any tax exemption, and no one with any religious agendas will be allowed to run the country, and the PEOPLE will run the government, not politicians and the rich.

i.Feature: Please tell your friend I'm sorryw hat happened to her from a Coloradoan.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's also convenient for the article's author. I would have thrown in some death threats or something to make the story a little more cloak-and-dagger, myself.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you saying you don't believe it? Not saying it's true, but looking at the stuff coming from Kansas and North Carolina lately, I'd say the fact that it's so believable these days is pretty telling.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

what is it about states with "kansas" in their names?

(Although I like to think of Arkansas as the "pirate" kansas.)

18. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

While I agree that Arkansas' method is overkill, I don't see why people are dragging Christianity into the issue. Evolution is a THEORY. Kids read the first chapter of their science books that teach about the scientific method and then the book goes on to teach evolution as a fact-completly contradicting the scientific method.
    The same thing with abortion. LEAVE THE BIBLE OUT OF IT!!! We will never solve the issue if the opposing parties are on completely different pages. (no pun intended)

By all means, believe whatever you want but please teach Evolution as a theory because thats what it is. </rant>

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gravity is a theory, but just try to get along without it. General Relativity is also a theory, but much of modern physics depends upon it.

A theory is not an idea which may be entirely false, it is an idea supported by empirical evidence. The entire concept of what a scientific theory is and is not is being actively distorted by one side in this debate, which is why we can't just call evolution a "theory" and get on with it. Science itself is under attack.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Few theories remain unchanged over the years. The fact that they remain as theories as opposed to being swept away is that the core idea is factual. IF they were false they would be fairly quickly removed. Science is littered with theories that never made it past the starting gate.

There's a big difference between theories in progress that have continually been tested and untested theories. The distinction is important and anyone who discounts the success of the Theory of Evolution is discounting all of science.

21. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

In a couple hundred of years, the u.s will be no more than religious state ( just as many Middle East countries are today ), if the current trend continues.... and most certainly science-phobic.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just don't plan on voting for Strom Thurmond's great, great grandson in 2204, and we might dodge the bullet. :)

23. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

reminds me of that Queens of the Stone Age gig poster... "Listen to music while you still can" with a picture of bush on it.

Hey to any of you yanks getting more and more scared of your government let me be the first to invite/welcome you to Canada. :D

We've got gay marriages, semi-legal pot and a minority government that can't get anything done because it can topple at the drop of a hat.

24. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

ROUND!? WHAT!?