Army Contract Official Critical of Halliburton Pact Is Demoted

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by toontra, Aug 29, 2005.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Just read this in the NYT. Couldn't find this in any recent threads - maybe it is old news for you in the US - if so, ignore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/i...&en=f2175188366b5e36&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Would seem to confirm suspicions many people had about why there was such a rush to war (i.e. there's a lot of money in them there deserts).

BTW, my brother just told me a friend of his has earned so much money in the last two years acting as a part time security guard in Iraq that he has had to leave the UK for the next few month in order to avoid paying the highest rate tax. He has basically earned enough to retire at the age of 48.

Whose money is paying his wages I wonder?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm sure he got some of mine. (That was a rhetorical question, was it not?)

3. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes indeed. It would appear the the Iraqi's oil revenue is being paid out, often on a no-bid contract basis, to all and sundry, predominantly companies from the "coalition of the willing to earn big bucks" countries.

And people say it's cynical to suggest the invasion was about oil!

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

When we went into the Iraq War, oil was trading at about $30/barrel. Now it's almost $70. Iraq has 112 billion barrels of oil. At today's prices, that's worth about $8 Trillion. Nice little contract for an oil services company.

5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Meanwhile...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-fraud28aug28,1,5876667.story

Curiously, nobody seems to quite know who is behind the effort to change the whistle-blower laws... it's just one of those things with a life of its own. Anybody want to buy a bridge?

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why am I not surprised that the so-called conservatives in power want to allow the waste and fraud to continue so the rich can continue to line their pockets?

8. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Quite. If a humble security operative can earn £100k + per year thanks to no-tender contracts, **** knows what the directors of these companies are making. Anyone blowing the whistle on these guys is in for big trouble, as they appear to be doing what they're doing with the tacit approval of the governing powers ( i.e. the US and their hand-selected Iraqi stooges).

By the time this is all out in the open it will be too late. The bucks will be stashed and the oil long gone. Long live democracy!