Army in Worst Recruiting Slump in Decades

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 30, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Serious troubles ahead. The Army sounds like its problems will become manifest about the same time as the US economies.

We've got about 5 years folks. Then the party's over...

3. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Maybe instead of recruiting 50,000 more they could actually mobilize all those "nondeployable" units they deny exist.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And righties like to argue that Clinton gutted the military. :mad:

Bush has hollowed it out and left us with a weak defense and they STILL defend him.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There would be no problem if we didnt have a knuckelhead for president and a lame reactionary congress who's main goal is the appearence of action. Iraq had nothing to do with 911. Bush is a Spin Machine little else. There is no reason to have our soldiers as sitting ducks for the Jihad freaks. Just like Vietnam our stupidass Govt is asking kids to sacrifice their lives for a bullcrap mission that has nothing to do with freedom in America or the USA but has everything to do with the !@#$%^Special Interests who run our Govt. We were attacked by Saudi's not Iraqi's but i guess they all look alike to this administration.
    Its pathetic that the National guard is in Iraq when it was Suppose to be for "our " Nation as in National. No wonder the hurricanes screwed us over so bad. This administration is incompetant in so many ways it aint funny.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I'm not surprised. I mean, why join?

A couple of months ago, these were my choices (After graduation):

A) Go to college
    B) Get a job
    C) Work for a year, save up, then go to college

I definitely went with "A" :cool:

Joining any force was NEVER on my list... And won't be...

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course!

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perhaps the military should merge with that other organization that's having recruitment troubles, the Catholic Church.

Of course, we'd have to settle on who'd be in charge, the Pope or the President.

But you know, the military has a policy of "don't ask, don't tell", and the Church certainly seems to be heading back in that direction....

And it would probably serve to revive the idea of that song, "Onward Christian Soldiers".

Then we could officially make the War on Terror into a holy war. ;)

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, how many people do you think hear the news every day say "7 soldiers were killed by a roadside carbomb today" and think "Damn...I wish I were over there in 200 degree weather carrying a 90 pound pack, clothed in dark camoflauge in an urban environment, eating SPAM and crickets, and handing out candy to the limbless children of Iraq only to see them, my comrades, and myself all die in another explosion. THAT WOULD RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We could send all the people who support the war. All 400 of them. If the people I know in the military knew how bad it was going to get, they never would have joined. You should hear what some of them really think of Bush.

(hint: they don't like him)

12. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I've got an idea: Send all the a-holes with 'Support our Troops Ribbons' on their cars to Iraq. It may be just the area I am in but it seems like 25% of all cars I see have those redonkerous magnets on them. (I'm a part-time pizza driver so I see a lot of cars.)

If you really wanted to 'Support the Troops' you would do everything you could to get them out of harms way, no?

13. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

"Hey...we're taking charge with a pointless "war" that not only makes the country we are occupying hate us, but it's also encouraging the rest of the world to dislike us as well - even more, it's doesn't even have the support of it's own country. Come join us! What'a'ya say?!"

A low recruitement turnout right now should not be suprising at all. Nothing different should be expected, which makes me wonder....

I suppose tomorrow's headline read:
    "Oxygen, experts say, is key to respiration"

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

more likely:
    "Oxygen Benefits Stricken from EPA Report"

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

White House: "We're waiting for further research."

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How do you know they aren't? You can be pro-soldier *and* not support the war in Iraq.

Lethal

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

There's two problems here - a more obvious one and an less obvious one.

The more obvious one is that nobody wants to get blown up in Iraq so they're not enlisting. Duh. Part of this is because Iraq doesn't seem like we're making any progress or even worth winning.

The less obvious problem is that more than ten years ago I heard that we were transitioning to a more high-tech military that needed more smart people, but less people overall. This doesn't seem to have happened, because we still need 1m people in our army, rather than a more reasonable 400k military professionals who manage the planes, tanks, and other killing machines. And I think we're finding out that high-tech doesn't really work against guerilla forces. So we probably have the wrong military.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree, but not completely. I don't think technology is the culprit. I think turning the military into an occupational force covering all of Iraq is the culprit. The military, partially because of new tech, has become more fleet of foot which helps when fighting guerilla forces. Until so much attention got turned on Iraq I thought things were going surprising well in Afghanistan. But as an occupational force in Iraq the troops have to perform more like a conventional army and conventional armies have always, and will always, have trouble dealing w/guerilla fighters. And being a long term, occupational force isn't something the military was in a state to do, I don't think. It's like training to become a sprinter then having yer coach come up and say, "Oh, BTW, I just signed you up for the marathon."

Lethal

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If only that was a common sentiment on the right...

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, I think that is the case. If you support the Iraq war, you are supporting the war, not the troops. To support the troops, you would need to better equip them and not send them off to die such a haphazard way. It doesn't make sense to me when I see a Support Our Troops and a W '04 bumpersticker on the same car. If they only knew.