Army Manual to Skip Geneva Detainee Rule

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jun 5, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-torture5jun05,0,7975161.story

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We all know this guy we call "President" is for Torture only now not on U.S. soil. Thats was made clear by Mccain. I feel like we are in a time warp with this president going backward in policy and time on everything from the Geneva Convention to Gay Marriage.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

barf.

How did we elect these people twice? I can't believe (though the evidence is right in front of me) that the American people would support these yahoos just to stop gay terrorist marriages.

Why haven't people seen through their blatant power-grab? Why don't people get it, that these issues are symptomatic of of people who should not be trusted? Osama sucker-punched us, and the administration has been playing their hand with a level of evil genius heretofore unheard of.

George Bush is the greatest threat this nation has ever been faced with.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Surprised no one has posted this yet:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13126262/site/newsweek/?GT1=8211

Just because it's MSNBC, doesn't make it bad. ;) It's a good article that basically asks why stuff like this is happening. Short answer, blame the higher ups. It's not just civilians getting tired of this war. Not saying this type of thing is justifiable, or the norm, but it is understandable considering the situation. The ever changing rules and "do whatever it takes" attitude from the people in charge doesn't help either.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Based on the people who I know who've been there, it's pretty accurate. My favorite part was when one of the generals asked to speak with the head of the counter insurgency dept. and there wasn't one. Because we never learned our lessons from the last couple of wars like this. Some of them would like nothing more than to be handing out candy to kids and protecting the townspeople, but they have so much bureaucracy to deal, and so many different people telling them different things, many not knowing anything about the realities of the situation. All while pretty much anybody could be waiting to kill you. You don't know who's innocent and who's ready to blow you up, so when they tell them to shoot first and ask questions later we shouldn't be surprised when they do. And then we're surprised when the Iraqis retaliate. It never ends. Poor planning, lack of equipment, no exit strategy, and then cutting the soldiers' benefits all just add to the problem too.

Which is why that whole "if you don't support the war you don't support the troops" thing isn't working anymore.