Army misses goal on Iraq Humvees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 7, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

(emphasis mine)

buried all the way at the end is an interesting little tidbit which indicates -- what -- an expectation of increased troop presence?

what should we be reading into that?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That they need another 2,000 for Iran?

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd say it's just realism from the top brass that this will be a longer effort than they had been prepared for. Plus these Humvees are better targets than a Bradley or a Stryker or a tank. We probably lose more Humvees than other types of vehicles.

Frankly it's a welcome sign. I'd rather those guys had a few extra armored Humvees around than not enough. You just gotta feel terrible for those killed up till now in unarmored Humvees.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A couple of THR moderators are in Iraq, and some of the THR members get emails from friends and relatives serving there.

There were gripes about the armor issue, early on. Most of those have been resolved. Many of the new armored HumVees are to replace severely-damaged armored HumVees. The armor is not a total panacea.

The present gripe that I've run across has to do with who has the new ones. The guys getting shot at really do resent the idea that REMFs (Kuwait, southern Iraq) are driving around in the new ones, instead of sending them on up to the Sunni Triangle area.

'Rat

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

If Hummers keep getting blown up maybe GM will be able to stay in business. The military has been getting substantial increases in budgetary and operational funds. Strong financial oversight of the military is needed, I don't know what these fiscally conservative (bwhahahahaha!) republicans have been up to lately but the government is leaking money like a sieve.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wrong General.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Not a subsidiary?

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

AM General. They sold the marketing rights of the Hummer to GM, but they still build and sell the HMMWV.

They've claimed they're not operating at capacity and have delivered every HMMWV the Pentagon ordered on schedule.
    link

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I thought you meant General Bush.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's King George to you, pal.

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Oh, well too bad for GM. Maybe the G6 will sell better in Iraq.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Always hope for a reborn "IROC" then.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Maybe even.... the IRAC!

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it's just equiping the troops properly. I think that for PR purposes, a troop reduction is necessary. If the US can go down from 150,000 to 130,000 or 120,000, wow, we must be winning!

Also, just a guess, with Britain, Poland, Italy and all pulling out, the US will have to do more work. Thus more Humvees.