Army's Rising Promotion Rate Called Ominous

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 30, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-officers30jan30,0,4783289.story

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Last year, when I worked for the military, I told one of the Lt. Col.s I knew that my brother-in-law might be making Captain soon, he looked at me kind of funny and said, "these days, everyone makes Captain."

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But to the administration, this is a sign that things are going WELL. Kind of like an upsurge in violence in Iraq means things are about to get better. No arguing with that logic either way, right?

Same with the military. When Clinton wanted reductions he was 'hollowing out' the force. When Bush does it, in this case announcing cuts-that-aren't-really-cuts in the reserves, it's no problem. Oh yeah, coupled with leaving America unprotected against someone else who might take advantage of this opportunity to present a true strategic threat to the US. Like say Iran, North Korea, Russia, or China for instance.

But hey, when the army is promoting everyone in sight it's a sign things are going really, really well.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

funny how, in most of the rest of the country, there's a shortage of jobs. but the military just can't get enough people, it seems.

6. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Maybe that's because not too many people want to join the military in the first place...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

They didn't used to have a problem filling those positions...

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Maybe when "be all that you can be" might include "dead at 20", the gold loses its glitter.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

During World War II wasn't officer promotion accelerated as well or was that just officer training?

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm guessing yes, but the military was swelling in size then too, not working on replacing people who've decided to retire.

Our military is staying the same size these days, yet the promotion rate is rising. Are there more majors per grunt these days? I doubt it.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Isn't that a yes? Part of the restructuring of the military is towards smaller, more lethal units, which probably means slightly more officers (to command the greater number of units).

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure that might involve a slight increase... even though I don't think individual units are headed up by a major typically.

But a jump of that magnitude? A couple percent is pretty substantial in a force of our size. Also, the end of the article makes it clear that retirement rates for 'junior officers' -- those who should be at the beginning of a military career -- are climbing. If those numbers are rising ALONG with smaller units there is a problem.

It'll be like what happened to the schools when the government mandated smaller class sizes, then didn't provide the money to hire the additional teachers it would take to staff the extra classrooms those teachers would need. It resulted in PE teachers teaching math. So now they mandate highly qualified teachers... but is there money for that, or any incentive for the teachers to play along?

If we promote 'battle-hardned' but poor-performing people just because we need bodies in place we WILL destroy our military.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well I don't think there's any question this war is hurting our military. Qualified soldiers are being killed/permanently decapacitated while recruiting totals, recruiting standards, promotion standards, and retention rates have dropped.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is that a cross between incapacitated and decapitated?

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

One is the word choice of someone who is literate. The other is not?

(And I think your spellchecker corrected my mistake into something much worse)

edit:

WOW!

I clearly can't read/write today. I totally misread your post.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What on earth did you read it as??:confused: