Arn has delivered upon the gamers! w00t!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BaghdadBob, Jan 12, 2004.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Arn very coolnessly added the Mac Gaming topic to the main page sidebar. This means we will now see hot topics in this forum section on the main page! Hopefully this will increase traffic to our section and we can get all the gamers chattering a little more around here.

He did it for the fans :cool:

2. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Precisely the plan. I know there's more freakin gamers on these boards than post in the games forums.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

very cool arn, we have to remember there are a lot of macheads that think oh you want to game? your supposed to that on a pc, or xbox or whatever. Its almost like you should only use your mac for work. WRONG:D

4. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I wasn't even aware of this division until a few weeks ago.

5. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

You mean ... you can play games on a mac?
    *avoids thrown pie*

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Ah yes finally this forum gets the main page recognition it deserves. With the slew of games 04 should produce, this page can only grow. :D

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

This is true. The Mac gaming community is growing. Thanks for the space Arn.

P-Worm

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

people who have macs and arent gaming are missing out on the fun that their mac can give them. i almost feel sorry to all those people who have macs but say they dont game on them. its like having a car but never driving it.

9. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Its like having a Viper but only being aloud to drive it in a parkinglot. Ive got this amzing computer but can't use it to the fullest capacity because of the poor game selection and poor ports to the mac. Blizzard is the only company who knows what they are doing as far as I am conserned.

10. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

The quality of some of the recent ports concerns me, however.

'Medal of Honor: Spearhead' is virtually unplayable in single player on any mac I've tried it on - the coding just seems to be much much worse than it was for the original game (which ran well, apart from having some insane bugs when used with a dual G4 machine - i.e. on the level where you have to place the explosives on the Nebelwerfer rocket launchers in the big field, the Nebelwerfers NEVER blow up - the only way to get past this level on my powermac was to cheat. Anyway, I digress).

Why is Spearhead so badly ported? Can we expect more shoddy jobs like this? Having played Halo a lot recently, I'm a bit disappointed with how it handles the large outdoor scenes - it's fine handling loads of sprites on my dual 867 powermac with Radeon 9000 as long as it's indoors, but outdoors is a different story.

And then there's UT 2003. Again, very slow at times on quite minimal graphic settings. I know my machine is hardly cutting edge, but I've got over 700Mb of Ram, a 64 Mb graphics card and a decent dual proc setup. I know it's capable of more than some of these games currently allow, due to unoptimised code.

Does anyone have a list of games that are optimised for Dual proc, or for Altivec?

Sorry, have probably gone way off-topic :)

11. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I never play games on my iBook G3 900MHz because there aren't any that would run smooth. Period.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This may be a little off target but if Apple was smart they would get somebody to create a stellar title from the ground up for mac only. written to take advantage of everything the mac can do rather then making us crappy ports with open gl as a afterthought. Is anybody home at Apple? this would be a excellent project for their fantastic software division. Steve where are you? oh yeah pushing those Mp3 players.:confused:

13. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Uhhh, yeah......

As long as the majority of gaming companies are addicted to crack -- er, I mean DirectX we're pretty screwed over here.

And that is precisely their plan.

Don't worry, there are still powerhouses that give us love...id...Blizzard....Blizzidard...and uh...all those other ones.

Another problem is that PC gaming companies like self-fulfilling prophesies...Like "Oh, we took a long time with this because of the smaller market on the Mac side"

Well, you know ****ers, if you're going to give us a game 18 months after its out for the PC side and make it poorly we're not going to buy the piece of ****. Good excuse to give us the shaft the next time around, eh?

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Bugdom?
    Nanosaur?

:D

But, yeah.. I agree. Indeed, the Mac is absolutely not bad at OpenGL performance, it's just that many games are optimized for DirectX instead. OpenGL compatibility is usually a "port"...

Now, a PPC w/ Altivec optimized OpenGL only supported Half-Life 2 look alike, but even nicer.....

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

16. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I'd go for that. Why can't they start making games specific to Apple like the consoles do. Like Halo for XBOX. No other console can run that game like XBOX can. If Apple started making games like that it would be great. And can you imagine how many switchers would start rolling in. I have so many friends who's sole reason for staying with Windows is because gaming for macs, well.....sucks. I think that there is a big number of teenagers who only have computers for AIM and online games. Why not try to get all those people? I don't get it. Apples mp3 players are the best... we already know that. Apples gaming is the worst. Doesn't it seem like they are focusing on the wrong thing to anyone else? They arn't going to get anymore switchers by going after the little 5 song mp3 players.

17. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Look, I think its a little overboard to call Apple's gaming "the worst" because it implies you cannot have a good gaming life on a mac. That's quite simply not true, you just have less selection, and if you're into having what's hot, you have a strong chance of missing out. However you will have it sometimes, and you will run it better in many cases.

BUT the mac platform is not worthy of exclusives right now because most of the development money for a game goes into game design, graphics, level design, and sound, not programming. There are not enough users on the mac side. And before you go quoting the 10 million OS X user mark, I'm using OS X and I can't run games that came out over a year ago with enough success to buy them. Get the picture?

Macs are not gaming boxes because they can't upgrade with the times. With the speed of advancement slowing down right now, the next gen G5s should be worthy of most games for years to come unless Intel pulls a rabbit out their ass and has the same burst in processor advancement they had earlier in the millenium.

And don't go dissing the iPod. Like the iMac, the iPod is a huge cash-cow that puts apple back out there in the spotlight. I was just having a conversation today that with all the companies getting into Apple's corner, you are now seeing Apple everywhere. You know what I haven't heard in a long time? "Apple is going to be dead in five years anyway." I've heard a lot of things, but that crap has been shut up for a while. That takes away the stigma to switchers that they would be buying into a dying company. And when Apple's market share increases, so will the gaming support -- the speed is there.

So, in summary, Macs are not consoles, iPods are good for gaming on the Mac, and have patience. MS standards are taking a hit right now, and not the good kind of hit. The next couple of years may demonstratively show momentum back on the side of Neutral instead of Evil.

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a few games on my PowerBook that I enjoy playing. My current favorite is Age of Mythology, but the quality of these ports bothers me as well. There are so many spots in the game where it tells me to refer to my "Windows documentation" when referring to a specific option or where I have to right click to do certain tasks when I just have one mouse button or where fonts don't show up properly and such. You'd think people like MacSoft would catch these things when someone who just installed the game and spent all of three minutes with it can catch mistake after mistake with the port.

19. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

lol this is the only section of these forums I read...

20. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

In the summer of 2000, I remember bringing my Powerbook G3 downstairs in my student house to show the Quicktime movie of an early version of Halo demonstrated at some to my PC-loving friends, causing a lot of jealousy for what was then intended to be a Mac and PC release, but it could very easily have done a Quake III and come out first for the Macintosh.

But no, M$ bought Bungie, a game company with a very strong historical affinity for the Mac OS, and therefore set gaming on the Mac back by several years, in order to prop up the X-Box with a decent game around the time of its release. It was a sad day for Mac gaming when that happened.

Here's what people expected of Halo for the Mac 4 years ago! this month!

http://www.macobserver.com/news/00/january/000107/bungiee3.shtml

So, it wasn't originally an X-Box game. What we really could do with is for another strong contender like Bungie to rise and actually bring people to the Mac like it did when it released the original Marathon, a game far superior to Doom, but specific to the Mac platform. A little jealousy among Windows/X-Box users goes a long way.[

21. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I cry into my beer over the loss of Bungie to the mac gamers.

Actually, I've said so much on the subject already that I intentionally avoided going there. MS buying Bungie was a dagger, and they knew it. I heard that there was a rumor MS was going to buy Blizz. Do you know how screwed we would be then?!? It looks like instead they've decided to compete with Blizzards new cash-cow, WoW, by investig obscene amounts of money into Sigil to get them to make a blockbuster MMORPG. The hype machine is carefully churning over that game right now...getting guys from sites with large readership (FoH, GU Comics) showing them the game and telling them the NDA proibits from saying anything but "Gee, it looks really big and really pretty and good."

Oh well. They will lose eventually. One would hope....

22. Flickta macrumors 6502

Great! Let's hope it happens!

23. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It will surprise you how much fun you can have on a parkinglot with a car, the handbrake in one hand and a pull on the steering wheel in the other hand. LOL! :D

A bit off topic so, Well done Arn. My compliments with the new layout of the site!

24. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I didn't see the above -- actually, count on Doom 3 to be an awesome showcase of the power of the G5s. John Carmack is the most incredible game programmer in the world. And for some reason he really likes the mac.

Do you know that when Doom II was ported by Lionsoft it actually performed better on the Mac? I think that trend has continued with every Quake release (per processor speed). All the dual 2.0 GHz folks will be willy-waving at the PC users with their FPS -- it'll be great :D