Arnold Bashing Starts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Aug 28, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,95895,00.html

See, that is the problem with politics in this country. The interview was in 1977, and who knows if he was serious? If you have ever seen pumping Iron, you know he was a kidder, and ham back then.

Sheesh, people need to get a clue.

2. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dont be too surprised. The Bustamante busting has started in earnest as well. Seems he was a member of a racist Hispanic group in the '70's. Lots of good choices abound here.:rolleyes:

3. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is stupid to bring up this stuff. Now, if someone was a member of a racist group, that has to be looked at seriously. However, what is wrong with smoking a little weed and having some great sex? Especially in the 70's. That was the norm was it not ;)

4. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing wrong with weed and great sex in my book, but I'm not down with the whole mysogeny thing. That definetly needs to be looked at.

5. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you're going to enter politics, you're going to be made to live with your previous statements and actions -- and there's absolutely nothing shocking or wrong with that. What made Swartzenegger an appealing character when he was a professional body-builder and comic-book actor may not play so well when he's running for governor. And this surprises anyone?

What's more, the only reason Swarztenegger is even in this race and being taken seriously as a candidate is on account of the celebrity he gained in his entertainment career. Without it, he'd be nothing more then another political neophyte. So yes, he has to live with what he's said and done in the process of climbing that celebrity ladder. No question.

6. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Except that it isn't a relevant topic. Nor was Gary Hart's private life. And for the record, Arnold has been a very, very successful business man.

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, and he'll be happy to tell you how very very successful he's been if you don't believe it.

I agree up to a point, but it isn't up to just you or I to decide what's relevant in a politician's background. About the only way we know the man is through his entertainment career, and if his track record in that career suggests that he's got some serious ego issues, then that's going to be relevant to many people.

8. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sure, I agree with you, but why allow the media to constantly bring up issues that are totally meaningless to ones political capacity.

They should focus on the fact that he is only a celebrity. That is what matters. An article from OUI from 77 about his lifestyle then should have no bearing about his life today.

9. macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about a membership in Mecha from around that time period? Or membership in the klan way back when? Seems like there are times that you find the past useful to bring up.

10. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

People can decide for themselves whether it has a bearing.

Incidentally, since I'm in California and you are on the other side of the country, I'd have to say I've been exposed to this more then you've been. My impression is that the man's ego is out of control, and that excessive vanity has at least as much to do with his run for governor as any interest in politics. From his background we know he had almost no prior interest in public policy and could not even be bothered to vote most of the time.

11. macrumors 6502

One quick question about Arnold:

Since he is a fiscal conservative (values economic self-government) and a social liberal (values personal self-government), doesn't that make him a Libertarian, and neither a right-conservative nor a left-liberal?

Now, I'm pretty sure that he said he's running under the Republican party because he is a fiscal conservative, and because the libertarian party doesn't command nearly as many party-line voters who don't bother to understand issues)

[edit]
    I'm pretty sure that Fox brought up the Arnold stuff because they didn't want to appear biased for bringing up the Bustamante stuff. All I know is that if I were in California, and of legal voting age... ah hell, I should just stop right there :lol:
    [/edit]

12. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One quick answer: we don't really know. He seems to be trying to run nearly 100% on the basis of star power.

13. macrumors 6502

No, he's actually had a few, small occasions where he's come out and named the things he supports. Abortion rights, (illegal, probably :roll: ) immigration rights, medicinal marijuana use (I thought that was legal, what's the big deal? Supporting bigger doses?) and I forget the other topic he said he supported, but they were all liberal ideals.

14. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He has been a tiny bit more specific in the last couple of days, probably as a result of the last poll which showed him running well behind Bustamonte. Maybe he'll tell us how he plans on running the state the next time he appears on Leno.

15. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Just for the record, I've worked with Mecha and it is not a racist group. Some of the folks in it are nationalists, but that is hardly the same. Seems Bustamante's opponents want to use the term "racist" to paint Bustamante as something he isn't.

16. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have a question, seriously:

Because arnold said he isn't telling his goals for the state publically, when he wins... doesn't he automatically have no responsibility to the people?

I mean this whole 'vote for me, because you know me' is all good for votes, but he is making no promises, no ideas that he is sharing... nothing...!

:mad:

17. macrumors 601

zimv20

the issue is that the feds (i.e. ashcroft) are out to shut it down. last year (iirc), a bay-area doctor was arrested for legally -- under CA law -- selling the stuff.

18. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Back to the question of sex in a candidate's past...there have been a few incidents coming to light that are more recent and are much more troubling. I don't think that Arnold and an orgy of weightlifters is any concern as it's consentual in nature and before he was married...case closed. However the several more recent groping issues are a little more troubling and much more relevant. Grabbing Denise Van Outen's ass and breasts while on her TV show is not consentual. It would get charges filed against you in this country. Fondling a crew member agaisnt her will on the set of a movie is also a crime, even if she didn't press charges. That fact that right off the bat we have at least two confirmed cases shows a pattern and that is troubling.

19. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Can you blame him for grabbing her ass ;)

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's easy for you to say -- you don't live in California. The man has huge ego issues, and his issue is his huge ego. That was apparent enough before these other incidents came to light. Marital fidelity has nothing to do with concerns about his obviously over-inflated self image, narcissism, and evidence of misogynistic tendencies. And here I thought character was supposed to matter...

21. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes.

22. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

While I have to admit that is one cute tush, I learned long ago only boors, idiots and felons think grabbing someone's ass is appropriate without some type of invitation. Not the qualities I'm looking for in a Governor.

23. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, but have you ever watched her show. She has guests do that to her all the time. She even kissed an old woman on her show one time.

It is like going on the man show, and being offended by the actions of the hosts.

24. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, no sale. The man has to live with what he's done, and that includes behaving like an over-sexed buffoon on a TV show, even if that's what he was expected to do.

25. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

So, should he be critized for playing any character in any movie? If he was expected by the host to do those things, then that was what was expected of him.