Arnold overstepped his authority

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

SFGate

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just another Schwarzenegger miscalculation. BTW, I refuse to join the media and just about everyone else by calling him by his first name.

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I just figure the media has the same problem I do of remembering how to spell Schwarzenegger. It's when the call him "the Terminator" that I get bugged. Somebody has to try to differentiate fantasy from reality, and I figure that should be part of a responsible reporter's job.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They need to add his name to their spell checkers. This really started to annoy me during the recall election, when it was always "Grey Davis vs. Arnold." Even KCET (our PBS station) pulled this nonsense on their local news program. I wonder how many people even notice.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The one good excuse I've heard from the media about the use of Schwartzenegger's first name is that, particularly in the print media, the length of the name prevents them from using a large enough banner headline. Apparently there is some precedent for this, in the past some pols have had first or nick names used to allow for those big banner headlines where another pol would have simply been addressed by name.

But in the body of the article, and certainly on TV they should address the govenor properly.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

On TV is where I've encountered this most often. It's like we're all supposed to be on a first-name basis with the guy. Yecch.