Arnold wins...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Oct 8, 2003.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

With less votes than people who voted against the recall...

:confused:

California is seriously ****ed up.

How soon will the Cali. GOP be looking to kill the recall law now that one of their own is in office? It's only a matter of months until Arnold is recalled.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

'I am the govenator!'

Gary Coleman got 12k votes too, damn silliness....

Only time will tell what will happen, I just hope it doesn't get worse - and next summer will be interesting with the power issues. I wonder if he'll be able to get things on track with that and avoid blackouts....

D

3. Zaid macrumors 6502

Where does the new govenor elect stand on issues such as immigration, healthcare, education, the energy situation, gay rights, etc ?

Does he have a particular stand ? or is it a was it a 'what do you want to hear today' platform?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well all you tax me i love it democrats are crying again. i think you all know where Arnie stands on the car tax issue and that will be the first of many Davis's bad idea's to go. Congrats Arnold! a moderate republican maybe the rest of the country will learn we are sick of the extremes from both sides.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i see issa got 483 votes. he spent over $3300 per vote.

6. KCK macrumors regular

Re: Arnold wins...

I don't know where you got your Info but here is the latest vote count from the Sec. of State office

Recall
    Yes 4,273,529
    No 3,507,933

Votes for Arnold 3,624,154

So clearly Arnold got more votes than the votes cast against the recall.

Also note that Arnold got more votes than Davis did in the election last year and a higher %

Davis in 2002 3,469,025 47.4%
    Arnold in 2003 3,624,154 48.1%

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Arnold wins...

anyone know why schwarzenegger didn't run in the general election?

8. KCK macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Arnold wins...

It would have been hard for a moderate republican like Arnold too win the CA republican primary. Richard Riordon ( sp) was the moderate republican in 2002 and Davis spent a ton of money on negative Ads about Riordon during the republican primary. Basically Davis hand picked who he would run against in the general election to increase his chances of winning.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Because he probably could not win the nomination. This election was ideal for Schwartzenegger. He didn't have to get past the social and religious conservative gate-keepers in the Republican state organization, and because of the length of the campaign, didn't need to submit himself to much scrutiny on personal and political matters. This election was tailor-made for a celebrity candidacy.

10. manzanita macrumors member

Do you have any idea why we're in this mess to begin with? Excuse me, I'm not a tax-and-spend Democrat, but I also don't want to get screwed over by Pete Wilson's cronies (and hence, by Arnold) again. This has nothing to do with the car tax, and everything to do with Enron and energy deregulation putting this state into the financial mess that we're in.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now lets see what Schwartzenegger can do. He's made an awful lot of promises to cut taxes here and not cut spending there. I forsee a tax increase in the near future, blamed on Davis, and then a very tough time getting a budget passed next summer. The Democrats are in a position to stall anything they feel like to embarass Arnold, and are not likely to feel terribly inclined to help him out on his legislative priorities. It will be interesting to see how the first 100 days of Arnold will be. I wonder if he will be able to stem the bloodletting from the school budgets.

As a side note, the poor prison guards association people aren't going to have a friendly ear in the govenors mansion anymore. I wonder who Arnolds biggest givers will be...

12. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Re: Arnold wins...

Earlier this morning the spread was about 100,000 votes the other way.

By the way, the 3.5 million voters who didn't want the recall of Davis are more than enough to initiate another one against Schwarzenegger.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh goodie.. another $30,000,000 recall is just what our state needs.

I'll at least be happy when my states govenor is back at work every day instead of on the campaign trail.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Real estate developers and industry so far. The usual suspects.

15. KCK macrumors regular

Well a lot of the people who voted against the recall did so on the principal ( ie why recall someone when they haven't done anything, in their opinion) If these people really stand on principal then they should be against recalling Arnold.

The latest numbers with 100% of the precincts reporting

Recall
    Yes 4,415,341 55.4%
    No 3,559,400 44.6%

Arnold 3,743,393 48.7%

Davis ( in 2002) 3,469,025 47.4%

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Recall
    Yes 4,415,341 55.4%
    No 3,559,400 44.6%

Those percentages in a Presidential election would most likely mean a clean sweep of the Electoral College.

Commonly called a "Landslide".

Seems to me a significant majority of Californians thought of The Gray Man as a truly serious (bleep)-up.

Since we know from generations of candidates telling us that Vox Populi, Vox Dei, we also know that the all-wise electorate has chose the best man as its new leader. It IS the Democratic process, you know...

:), 'Rat

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

AKA, "We get exactly the government we deserve."

18. Dros macrumors 6502

Who do you think would have won is Gray and Arnold went head to head? It is difficult to say for certain, but some people that voted for Arnold would have preferred Gray, and some people that voted "no" on the recall would have preferred Arnold head to head. I wonder if anyone is polling on that? The "no" votes and "Arnold" votes were pretty close in number, so most people can probably rationalize who they wanted to win as winning head to head.

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Everybody is against the car tax, but nobody, including Arnold will say how the 4 billion in short fall will be replaced with its repeal. Arnold campaigned on his celebrity and not being a "politican"; now he will actually have to come up with some answers to some very difficult questions. He hasn't given me any reason to believe he is capable of that task. He has a very short "honeymoon" available to him in this overwhelmingly Democratic state.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms about the "car tax" anyway. It's a flat tax. You know, the kind conservatives are supposed to favor? And to correct the constant spew of misinformation, if the "car tax" was "Davis' idea," he must have had it when he was a tiny infant, since it's been around since the 1930s. It was only lowered temporarily a few years ago when the state was awash in money, with the explicit proviso that it would return to the original rate if the state couldn't find the funds elsewhere, which is obviously the case now.