Arrested Development Cancelled by Fox

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ja0912, Nov 13, 2005.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

NOOOOOO!!!!!

That show, The simpsons, and Family guy are the only reasons I haven't banned Fox and all Fox-related networks from my TV.

Nooo!!!!

It's a fantastic show! I really don't understand why it's not hugely popular! It's hilarious!

meanwhile Stacked has probably been renewed...

/because pamela anderson beats good writing
    //I hate tv
    ///and people

EDIT
    REPLACED WITH REPEATS OF PRISON BREAK??
    AAGGGHHHH

*pulls out hair*

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Mistake? I don't think so. Funny or not, its rating share is terrible. More people watch Fox News than this show.

3. ja0912 thread starter macrumors member

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know. But a lot of people are upset that this show is being axed. I was just pointing out the business perspective. Fox has to do what they have to do. Maybe it will turn out like Family Guy. Very few people watched Family Guy when it was on, but a few years later it truely became apprechated. This might be a good thing for the show.

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

oh man, if that show wasn't good times, I don't know what is.

oh well, it's still on adult swim!

:D

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yes, this was very depressing news. It's a shame that Fox doesn't have any respect for people who actually like to use their brains, and that the most popular shows (and the ones Fox advertises the most) are the ones that cater to the lowest common denominator. Fantastic ratings or not, this show has a VERY devout following, and they should have at least let them finish out the season with the full 22 episode order insteading of shortening it to 13. :( Last week's episode was so funny, especially the whole Godzilla sequence. I just can't comprehend how this show doesn't have a bigger audience.

That being said, I really hope someone else picks it up.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It has nothing to do with Fox and their respect or lack of respect for people. You have to show what people want. If mindless entertainment is what the population demainds, then that is what you have to show. Only a mindless business who doesn't use their brains would do anything different.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Like the BBC? Seriously, many people often don't know what they like until they're shown something new or challenging... many famous shows often started off with poor ratings e.g. Seinfeld.

It just takes the guts of the commissioning editors to persevere with something if they feel it's high quality and will find an audience. Moving things around schedules doesn't help either...

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Exactly. Fox treated this show like garbage. They moved its timeslot, they preempted it with sports and other nonsense all the time (they're doing it again the rest of this month -- RERUNS OF PRISON BREAK), and they rarely ever promoted it. It's no wonder no one knows when it's on. If Fox had given it a consistent schedule and gave it even 1/10th of the promotion-airtime that shows like "The O.C." and "Trading Spouses" get, it might have gotten better ratings.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

To me, three years seems like long enough to wait. How long to you propose? :confused:

Point taken on the moving it arround.

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

eh, i don't mind. I never really got into this show, it was a little too offbeat i think for the real populus to get into. Also it was one of those shows that people think is impossible to get into if you 'weren't there for the beginning' ....:eek:

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I was put off by the rapid editing and camera movement on Arrested Development. Couldn't watch more than a few minutes before I started to get headaches. Maybe this is partially to blame for low ratings of an otherwise great show?

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Any show with Jason Bateman as a star can't be good.

Bring more episodes of A Simple Life...ha!

15. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yep .. they certainly bit the shiney metal ass with that decision.

As for AD, it took too many well-worn clichés and painted them with too many 'flavour of the day' colours and the finished product looked anything but finished.

Whereas Seinfeld actually did something that no one else was doing at the time, nor had done before.....it was born to snowball.

16. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

This was just like what NBC did to "Freaks and Geeks".

A top notch show with BRILLANT writing gets moved around, interupted, put on some stupid hiatus, then cancelled.

Luckily I feel that any time a show airs will be moot seeing as DVRs will slowly become main stream and everyone time shifts their viewing anyway. I haven't watched a show when it actually airs since 2001.

But lord I miss "Freaks and Geeks". This show as well. Now its off to DVD!:(

17. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Well in all fairness, I have to admit that's true. The show is nowhere near as funny if you haven't been watching all along. There are so many jokes and references to things that happened earlier in the series that if you haven't been watching, would not be funny. It's kind of ironic because those jokes and references are what make the show so brilliant, and at the same time is probably at least partially responsible for its downfall.

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  19. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Hmmm, wow. I've never seen it, but I thought it was popular.

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well for those that know anime

Mobile Suit Gundam was cancelled originally in Japan due to bad ratings, only when it was shown on reruns did it become world famous and have so many more sequels.

21. emmawu macrumors 6502

It's a funny show. And here's a bit of a rant, how come all the new shows are crime shows, or baaad, just baaad.

Crime rates have acutally gone down, but you'd never know it by watching the tube. What happened to clever, intelligent writing with a bit of wit? What happened to actors who could really act out realistically? What happened to funny shows that featured adults and not "cute" or "adorable, all knowing" children? Are there any women on television over 35 who are not cliched? Why are all fathers stupid (Homer Simpson excepted)?

Well back to the dvd player for me. Is there anything good on anymore?

22. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Like the BBC? Are you serious? You do know that BBC is funded by the government and not by advertising right? That said, Fox's responsibility is to its advertisers, not to a handful of people that watch the show (me being one of them).

23. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Please all that love AD as much as I do

Go here and participate on Save Arrested Development day!

http://www.myspace.com/arresteddevelopment

The is hands down the funniest show on TV and I think the funniest ever, such a shame to see it might go, again . . .

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'll be writing a strongly-worded letter to Fox sometime this week. Very disappointed by their actions. Sorry to start ranting again but I just can't help it. It's not like they're cancelling a crappy show with bad ratings, they're cancelling an AMAZING show with bad ratings. Just let this one continue Fox, please...one or two more seasons, that's it. Please!!! :eek: