Arrggh!! 1.67GHz PB vs 2GHz Black MacBook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moo-Boo, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

:eek: My dear friends! I fear a major conundrum brewing like a fart in either Peter Griffin's or Homer Simpson's bowel! I have the opportunity to purchase either a February 2005 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook or a May 2006 black 2GHz MacBook for the exact same price. RAM and HD size are identical. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but I need a decent Mac laptop for work and Nick (the Macintosh man) says that I only have till Tuesday to make up my mind. Yes, admittedly, this could be a sales ploy, but I've been dealing with him for 7 years now and he doesn't lie. Right now, I have a 17" 1.9GHz G5 iMac. Very nice machine, by the way. PowerPC I have virtually grown up with, but 1.67GHz mightn't be fast enough. And Intel still frightens me a little...somewhat like Bernard Marx in Brave New World. Anyway, I would LOVE to hear your advice! Always great to get and mull over...besides, who else but you kids know better? No one!

Thanks for talking to me and take care,

Matt and the Cat

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Powerbook is a G4, MacBook is a CoreDuo, which will smoke the G4 in all but graphic-card demanding tasks. I'd say get the MacBook and add some extra RAM :)

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

The blackbook would be my choice. Because it is newer. That is it. It is the newest therefore I would buy it.

4. emac82 macrumors 6502

Well, I see you have a 1GB PowerBook know..What is the difference between that one and the 1.67GHz model, besides the processor :) Would you really see a difference? Has it been customized?

With the MacBook you get a smaller screen (glossy), it will let you run Windows if you have too...It'll run cooler...But yes, the PPC processors are great and reliable.

It is a touch choice..If you are going to be using it for pro apps, go with the PowerBook..

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Which pro apps? Adobe is releasing it's Universal suite of products in a few months, and then the MacBook will pummel the G4. They're amazing, reliable machines, but they're what, 8 years old now? That's ancient in tech terms. MacBooks will be much faster when using native apps.

6. emac82 macrumors 6502

I know, but the PowerBook still has a dedicated video card, and I believe this model is using ddr2 ram (so basically same speed as macbook), so it will still have it's advantages over the current macbooks in some areas.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

get the macbook. even with pro apps, i'd imagine the macbook to be lots faster than the powerbook g4. the screen size will be smaller, but battery life will be better and overall performance will be much better,get the macbook. too. also, future software might not have ppc support. if you're still not convinced, i share files and documents and do work between my g4 and my macbook, and i the only difference i see is g4 = slow and c2d = fast. get the macbook.

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I mentioned the graphics card in my first post :) If you're having doubts, go to an Apple store and compare your powerbook to a macbook in terms of things you'll do on a day to day basis: converting videos for an iPod, ripping CDs, web rendering, iMovie and iDvd projects, etc. I can say for a fact that my dad's CoreDuo mini wipes the floor with my eMac G4.

I say try them out personally and then decide if the graphics card is a deal breaker :)

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

well if you can handle the smaller screen, I would go for the Macbook. While certainly still usable the G4 really is a dated technology.

10. emac82 macrumors 6502

Also, the PowerBook has a bigger screen, so if it's for video/photo editing it might be appreciated.

Me, I would buy a MacBook..I don't use Macs professionally and even if I did I agree that the MacBook's would perform alright..However the MBP's would be even better.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

12. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

You Are Not Required To Read Any Of This!

wrong on that one, the intel line runs software which is literally "universal" the PowerBook will run them as readily as the MacBook.

I was faced with a similar decision a while back, and decided to take the refurb PowerBook for 1349.99 over a CD MacBook.

Bear in mind that these are simply opinions based on my hands-on experience with these products. again, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO READ ANY OF THIS!

Neither:
    -support 64 bit architecture.
    -offer impressive gaming capabilities.

PowerBook: (perfectly capable machine despite what anyone tells you)
    -perfect display for watching DVD video and editing all forms of media.
    -better case design and MUCH lower case temperature.
    -speakers provide the best sound quality on the market.
    -backlit keys are just sexy/keyboard is more comfortable to use.
    -Firewire 800.
    -wireless reception is ****.
    -capable of running 7200rpm HDD.
    -runs Adobe CS2 and Macromedia Studio 8 like a beast.

MacBook CD: (I stand by my decision not to purchase this system)
    -worst modern display I've seen (not claiming to have seen them all) for that price range, though very bright.
    -weak camera that you'll never use, unless you happen to be a webcam girl. (yes I realize it was developed for video conferencing:p )
    -can only support 5400rpm HDD or lower, which is lame.
    -keys are not backlit, keyboard could be described as "usable."
    -capable of running windows xp. *gags*
    -capable of running windows vista...kinda
    -speakers are nothing to fuss about, placement is a bit strange as well.
    -WILL run hotter than your average laptop.
    -larger trackpad surface, which could be considered an improvement in some loose sense of the term.
    -magsafe is a novel idea.
    -no worthwhile Firewire ports.
    -remote is useless for a laptop of this size, when will you ever watch a movie from more than arms length of this computer?
    -wireless reception is above par.
    -case feels flimsy and you could practically use the edges near your wrists to commit suicide.
    -doesn't perform well in CS2 or Studio 8.
    -performance in CS3 will rival that of the PowerBook in CS2.

MacBook C2D: (At a similar price, you'd be an idiot not to purchase one)
    -supports 64 bit architecture:D
    -disregard any negative comments (regarding performance) above.
    -wireless reception is unreal.
    -case seems sturdier.
    -WILL run cooler than your average laptop.
    -very capable of running windows vista.
    -most other negative comments still stand.

13. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

In "some areas"? Yeah, games. That's it. You don't get a boost in performance with a dedicated graphics card when you're using Photoshop or any other desktop app. I really wish people would get this through their heads.

The MacBook will kill the PB in every way possible, possibly now (I'm not sure about Rosetta+Intel compared to the old G4) and definitely within a few months when all Adobe's stuff is finally Intel. Get the MB.

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You're not entirely right. The new Adobe CS, for example, will be Intel only. NOT Universal, so it will NOT run on PPC Macs.

15. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

Not an outright kill until Leopard and CS3 are released, and then you'll have to drop $800 for an upgrade from CS2. Then, that outright kill will come at a steep price.

Performance in InDesign is affected by the GPU. As well as the performance in a host of other professional applications.

I agree that the C2D MacBook is the best purchase, but I still get defensive of my PowerBook...sorry:eek:

edit: mrogers, if you have time PM me some info on that topic. I'm interested to know why they'd make that move.
    I haven't had any trouble running Photoshop CS3 beta on my PowerBook, but I guess that could change.

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

just a couple of points;
    the C2D MacBook is 64 bit (edit; you pointed that out on a bit which i didn't quote :rolleyes:)
    -i reckon the display is great, i haven't had any problems with it. I prefer the glossy, but i do understand its personal taste.
    -I agree, the camera isn't anything you would sell your SLR for, but it works.
    -It does support 7200 RPM drives, but there is not BTO option for it.
    -i reckon the keyboard is the best Apple have put on a computer yet. Again, personal preference.
    -larger trackpad is awesome! i used an older iBook, and the trackpad was really restricting.
    -magsafe has already saved me money from careless people going between my MacBook and the wall
    -they wouldn't put FW800 on an entry-level notebook
    -i reckon the MacBook feels more sturdy than the MBP, but thats just me. Try it out for yourself. And the edges aren't too sharp on mine.
    -it will perform well in CS3

17. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

$1745, Australian or I guess $1375 US. Aussie dollar buys about 78 US cents at the moment.

18. okwhatev macrumors 6502

And they're SUPER easy to install yourself, unlike the Powerbook/MacbookPro's! (Not to mention 7200RPM 2.5 drives @ 100GB are only around $115 on the net if you look hard enough!)

19. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Where did you get THAT information from? I'm pretty sure Adobe CS 3 will be universal, it would be foolish by Adobe to make it Intel only. Most graphic agencies who have bought G5 Systems over the past 2-3 years (and that's a lot!) will not upgrade to Intel Macs for at least another 2 years. Budget is often tight in this area, and an Apple tower often has to last 4 years in an agency. I believe Adobe will not risk loosing sales in this area, the business clients, agencies who have to buy 10+ or 20+ licences, are the ones who give them the most money.

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just to back you up

[​IMG]

21. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hehe, thx! :)

22. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

while cs3 will be a universal app, adobe is already making applications that will be intel-only such as premiere and their production studio suite. it's only a matter of time when other developers will follow.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Although I prefer the aluminum case, larger screen, and backlight keyboard on the PowerBook G4, I think that I would go with the 2GHz MacBook instead. The performance advantage of the Core Duo vs the PowerPC G4 is enough to cause me to lean in the direction of recommending the MacBook.

But as onthat points out, there are still viable reasons for going with a PowerBook G4. :)

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

And not even in all games. For example, Civilization IV. It doesn't run well on a macbook, but it does run. On a G4 the screen goes black and locks up. :rolleyes: Some games simply won't run on a 1.67 Ghz G4 but will make due with a GMA 950.

Get the macbook. :)

25. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Sorry guys, I know the beta is Universal, but I was just repeating what I heard on MacBreak Weekly a few weeks ago. Leo said he had talked to one of Adobe's design people and they had decided the new CS would be Intel-only.

EDIT: I just did some digging and it looks like you guys are right, it will remain Universal. I think the "prediction" I heard was an old one that had been based on the fact that Adobe released SoundBooth as Intel-only and some people thought they were going to do the same with CS3.