Arrgh! Help! Excel File Broken!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dazzer21, Jul 4, 2006.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

I'm using Microsoft Excel 98 (version 8) on a PowerBook G4 400 (OS 9.1). I have a file in Excel that I update every day (same file for about a month now) and is backed up every day. Tried to open it this morning and it won't. Opening from the finder opens Excel, then the file tries to load up, the progress bar gets about three quarters of the way across and then stops. I've left it alone for about 5 minutes but it just won't progress. Excel will force-quit OK and the rest of the System then runs normally. The same applies to the backup file. Everything was fine yesterday. Any ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm assuming you are double clicking the file...

Here are some basic suggestions:

1. Try opening Excel and opening the file from the Excel File menu (not likely)

2. Try to copy the file and open the copy (may give you an error in copying and show you have a corrupt file)

3. Restart your machine (never hurts)

4. Repair permissions (always a popular choice)

5. Repair the disk (may reveal an error with the file)

Sounds like you have a backup... any reason why you can't work from it?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacDawg

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, both original and backup filoes have developed the same problem, so I assume it *happened* while saving the original, and then obviously applied for the backup version too. I'm not running OS X on this machine so I can't repair permissions.

HOWEVER, I have taken the initiative in opening the file in Word which at least shows (so far) that the data is intact. BUT I would prefer that the file opens in Excel as, although I will be able to copy the info from Word back into Excel, the original Excel file has major formatting applied for easier legibility.

Still searching for a solution...

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, I see the OS 9.1 now in rereading your post.

So both the backup and the original are now corrupt the same way.
    Interesting.

Are you able to open any other Excel files?
    Are you able to create a new Excel file, save it and open it?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep - Excel works perfectly in evert other way. It's the files that seem to be affected.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Is the file extension still an Excel extension? *.xls

just a thought...

Perhaps you can email it to another machine, Windows or Mac, to work on opening it there.