Arrogant Gates.. and contradictory

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Les Kern, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

"The last thing you want to do for a shared use computer is have it be something without a disk ... and with a tiny little screen," Bill Gates - at the Microsoft Government Leaders Forum in suburban Washington on the $100.00 computer for developing countries.
    \
    I submit "Origami":

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

took the words right outta my mouth on that one.

concept is a good idea ...ish but why would you want to carry it around with you ?

Cell phone (Mobile to us Brits)+ iPod + Wallet + Keys + ciggys and lighter is just almost too much for my pockets at the moment

they should be developing a new coat pocket so we can all carry around these new products they keep coming up with

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

actually Dockers advertized pant's with extra deep pockets on US TV for all the gadgets.

maybe microsoft will release extra Origami pant's together with Vista?

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

An origami-like device could some day be successful, but right now I'd say it's the worst of both worlds: Too small to be useful, and too big to be practical.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Well you could always get rid of those..

.. and reduce what's in these. :)

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Not if you smoke. :D

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Weak! :)

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm amazed at how pathetic the Origami devices I've seen on the web are (the main one is that samsung one being touted at cebit).

I think one if these just might be able to replace a laptop but that samsung device is not gonna convince anyone to do that.

What will happen is that tablets and origami will fail to sell and then everyone will declare the form factor 'dead'. It wouldn't take much to make the whole thing a workiable concept thogh and given the rash of patents related to this kind of device recently filed by apple it looks like apple might head in that direction.

The price has to be something closer to 300 quid though ($500). The edu sector would potentially snap them up then.

10. clykins90 macrumors regular

clykins90

IMHO, I think a device like that would be fantastic! IF it had a different OS, Microsoft needs to write a new version of Windows made specifically for Touch Screens. Tablet PC Edition is awful. Write something like an advanced version of Windows Mobile, but not quite XP. Make it more suited to be used with your fingers.

11. emaja macrumors 68000

...and Steve Jobs never referred to flash-based MP3 players as "disposable" and promised 3GHz G5s within a year of the announcement.

Please, companies always trash what the competition has as worthless and pump up their own stuff if they do not have a compting product.

Arrogance and determination (or vision) are often two sides of the same coin.

12. turbopants macrumors regular

I like the Origami concept, but it fail if they do not price them for mass adoption. Around $500 or less is the key to people getting them, and I don't think they can do that yet.

13. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

LOL You're kinda right. I have more stuffs ;) I have Cochlear Implant, big fat wallet, iPod, many keys, glasses, sun glasses clipper. Too much burdens!!!

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

MWSF 07 - Steve Jobs, "I present to you the iPocket - 1000 items, incredibly small, fits in your pocket. They're available TODAY for only $129." :D And the crowd goes wild.

15. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

That is a very brave, but fair point.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Key words...

Key words...

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

It's not really wearable/mobile if you can't comfortably wear it around your neck or strapped to your upper-arm.

As long as an Origami type of device doesn't have a "full day" battery life, I don't see it being usable.

By the way, I don't use a wallet because I think it's too cumbersome. Only a little aluminum case with 3-4 cards in a pocket, a few dollars and coins in the other. Served me perfectly fine for the past 10 years. I'm not a big fan of the "bulge" ;)

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I hope it is a great product and make $$ because i would want one...give credit where it is due...but it's not due yet.

Bless

19. SeRgIo_42 macrumors member

Gates is just mad because his ideas were not accepted by the MIT team...

He was willing to distribute micro$oft stupidity on these laptops (which will help a lot of kids without a doubt).

Linux will prevail (as well as OSX, OSXI, etc).

20. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Three hours is what I hear. That REALLY means 2.4 hours in the real world, and more like 1.4 in 6 months.
    I mean, how DUM is that! Only a FOOL would buy one.

21. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

looks like Bill Gates has bought a warehouse full off em :rolleyes:

22. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

'If you are going to have people sharing the computer, get a broadband connection and have somebody there who can support the user.' -Gates

Someone should let Bill know poor kids of the world don't have broadband.

Thankfully the project is using Linux so they will not need a massive support team like they would if they ran Windoze.

I believe that Steve Jobs offered to let the project use OSX for free. They turned him down in favor of Linux, but he did make the offer.

23. CompUser Guest

you mean it will fold :p :) :cool: :cool: :cool:

24. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

1. Steve Jobs referred to the flash-based players up to that point as disposable Edit: he said you throw them in a drawer, thanks dejo because most were. They used AAA/AA/etc batteries, and had terrible software interfaces and design. He wasn't trashing competing products with the Shuffle, he was trashing bad flash MP3 players--which weren't competing with the Shuffle at all.

2. He promised 3ghz because IBM promised it to him--not because he wants to lie.

3. Steve Jobs is one of the most considerate CEOs I've ever seen when it comes to talking about other companies and their products. Your post is immature and flawed in the way that it tries to make a point.

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't believe Steve ever said all flash-based MP3 players were disposable. Do you have a link to when/where he said that? He has said (at MWSF 2004, when he introduced the iPod mini) that cheap (under $100) flash-based players don't hold enough songs to be useful and end up getting thrown in a drawer.

"Flash iPod Details?" thread posting from me