Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
Ok well i am in itunes and i am trying to skip one song and it skips 2 or 3 and all i do is push the right arrow the same happens when i am browsing in finder. what can i do to fix it?

and yes it has been happening before 10.4.7 was released

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
In the Keyboard & Mouse pane of System Preferences there are a couple of options to delay the repeat timing and responsiveness. Maybe play around with these a bit so your arrows become less erratic. :)

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
now the key is extra sensitive like just resting my finger on it makes it do its funny buggers
and its still only the right arrow key

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
elisha cuthbert said:
now the key is extra sensitive like just resting my finger on it makes it do its funny buggers
and its still only the right arrow key

It sounds electrical, which I'm not sure what you can do about that...

To continue ruling out other possibilities: Have you removed the keyboard and shot some compressed air around in there? I'm hoping it's a simple thing.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Could you clarify which ibook you have?

iBook G5 933/640/APX/CMB/60GB
I'm assuming you have a G3/G4?

My experience with G3 iBooks is that their keyboards and logicbords need to be replaced on a *rather short* ongoing basis. My friend's G4 also need to have its keyboard replaced twice since he bought it less than a year ago. We had one (G3) with similar arrow problems, and the command key had issues aswell. The keybaord needed to be replaced, but your problem could easily be a bad contact under the right arrow key. If you're not still under AppleCare than your best option is to open the board up (only do this if you feel reasonably comfortable doing so) and check for obvious obstructions. Like discoforce said, a light blast with some compressed air usually gets little bits of anything that can take up residence in your keybaord.

Best of luck!!

PS: If it is a G3, what does it the keyboard smell like? Ours have a pretty funky odor about them... :p

AppleMat

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2006
My right cursor key is a bit funny too. It often doesn't register and I have to press it quite hard for it to work. All the other keys are fine... My iBook is only a few days old.

It does smell lovely though, just like my old Psion series 3a :D

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
iDuck said:
Could you clarify which ibook you have?

I'm assuming you have a G3/G4?

My experience with G3 iBooks is that their keyboards and logicbords need to be replaced on a *rather short* ongoing basis. My friend's G4 also need to have its keyboard replaced twice since he bought it less than a year ago. We had one (G3) with similar arrow problems, and the command key had issues aswell. The keybaord needed to be replaced, but your problem could easily be a bad contact under the right arrow key. If you're not still under AppleCare than your best option is to open the board up (only do this if you feel reasonably comfortable doing so) and check for obvious obstructions. Like discoforce said, a light blast with some compressed air usually gets little bits of anything that can take up residence in your keybaord.

Best of luck!!

PS: If it is a G3, what does it the keyboard smell like? Ours have a pretty funky odor about them... :p
its a G4 disguised as a G5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.