Arrrg. DVD writing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by yippy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Sorry if this is long.

At work we are trying to burn a Mac OS X install DVD from a .dmg file and are having problems. First of all, none of our Macs have Superdrives. The only DVD burner we have is an unkown brand in an Oxford Firewire/USB enclosure. When we hooked it up to a Mac it said burning not supported. So I installed patchburn 3, which seemed to work at first. But when I tried to burn from Disk Utility, it started burning and then said it was the wrong media for this burn. So I turned to a copy of Toast light that I have. However, I can't seem to find a way to get it to burn a disk image. I tried to make a data DVD in it with all of the files but Toast hit an error.

So this is where I am. Anybody have more ideas? Tools I have to work with: several old G3s, new PCs that the DVD burner will work on, Firewire cable, fast internet/network, everything I mentioned.

Thanks

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Are you using the correct type of DVD? There's DVD-RW and DVD+RW I think and the two are not interchangable....

3. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

I am pretty sure we are, they are the only DVDs we have that I believe we have used with the burner before.

4. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

osx

hi

i back up my copy of osx by using the copy feature in toast 6 and then burning the disk as a cd/dvd again in toast 6

worked for me !

also you can tell it to use a specific usb etc dvd burner which might help !

5. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Can't use the copy feature, this is a download of the image (how our university distributes Mac OS copies) so all I have is the image of it. I think that would be fine except Toast Lite 5 does not support burning from images.

I found a way to convert it to .iso so I can burn it from one of the PCs in the office. That just feels so wrong though, wish I had another way.

6. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

pc

sometimes thats just the way it goes

so all mac users never diss the pc because sometimes a pc is handy for somwe things !!!