ARRRGGGGHHH!! (Oh, and Happy New Year)

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Dec 31, 2004.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

For those of you who haven't been following my iPod travails, it's in this thread.

A New Year's Eve update...

So here I am waiting patiently for my iPod. I at first thought it would come around 11:00 or so, as that's when FedEx usually gets here. Since i didn't get an e-mail with the carrier, I just assumed it was FedEx. Wrong.

Turns out there was a tracking number on the online order confirmation page. DHL. Ok, no problem. Guaranteed 3pm delivery. Cool.

3pm. No iPod.

4pm. Still no iPod.

5pm. Ditto.

6pm. You guessed it.

6:30pm. Called DHL customer service.

"Oh, the driver returned to the station at 2:30 and ended his run."

"With my package STILL ON THE TRUCK??!!"

"Um, yes sir, that is correct."

"How the HELL does that happen, by the way? I paid for overnight. Had guaranteed 3pm delivery. And your driver decides to go home BEFORE HE'S FINISHED with his deliveries?"

"Yes, it appears that's what happened. But you'll get it on Monday."

"Super. I suppose that's why I paid the extra 10 bucks for overnight with you morons. I'll get it FIRST THING on Monday, right? Like, I'm the first delivery that is made, correct?"

"Well, sir, everyone is gone from that station by now, so I can't call them. I won't be back until 10am on Monday, but you can feel free to call first thing Monday morning to see when it will be delivered. We open at 7:00am"

"Let me get this straight. Your guy leaves work early, without fulfilling your delivery obligations, and now it's my job to call on Monday morning to get them to come to my house 3 days late? Great."

So anyway, I won't have my iPod until Monday. Hopefully morning, but I guess that depends on if I can get in touch with the people before the guy leaves on his run for the day. Good thing I have the day off as a holiday. But I am PISSED. I think I'll be talking to management on Monday to get a refund check for the price of my overnight package.

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

ugh.... that sucks. I had a similar experience w/DHL - They claimed they couldn't find my house that day (my house is NOT hard to find, it's not even 1/20th of a mile off of Route 60), so I had to wait until the next day to get my package.

My advice: Next time use UPS or USPS... UPS has never missed any deliveries for me.

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Wish I had the choice - but I didn't. Oh, well, a couple of days isn't so bad, just frustrating!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I had an experience like that just before Christmas with DHL too. :( I guess it was due to the snowstorm. I didn't mind the package being delayed, but it was annoying that there was no notification. I even went on their website several times and checked. All the week before Christmas, delivery was scheduled for the Friday before Christmas (the 24th). There was a scan in at origin on the 21st, and then nothing. Friday comes, and it still says expected delivery Friday. I wait, and call in the afternoon, and they confirm that it isn't going to come until the next week. Monday, the package does come in the afternoon, but at noon, the online system still says ETA the previous Friday, with no data after the original scan at departure.

What's the point in having a tracking system if it's this useless? I totally understand that the storm delayed the package, and I don't even expect a phone call to be told this, but putting it in their tracking system should not be too much to ask. If they don't have a keystroke to do it, whoever admins their database should be able to add such an entry to everyone's tracking info who's affected with what, one SQL query and four or five minutes of work?

Meh....

:(

Anyway, hope your package comes soon.

I used to spend part of my week at an automotive plant that's located in AirEx's home city, in Ohio. They had one huge redeeming factor, which was that you could bring them a package for overnight delivery at their HQ at 10:00 at night and they'd still get it there the next morning. Which I used more than I cared to during launch season. But hmmm....they need some better logistics....

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That sucks, big-time. Don't yell at the rep that you talked to, I doubt they had anything to do with it, but make sure that they know you are angry. Try to get a refund for your money spent on shipping it. It WAS their fault.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Gosh, I hate it for you!
    Things like that drive me NUTS!

Hope you get satisfaction on Monday!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

(Chuckling)
    So much for those DHL commercials I've been seeing.
    Going the extra mile :rolleyes: . HA!

Hope you get your stuff.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I had a similar problem the week of the 22nd. My power adapter was on the frtiz so I call up applecare they say no problem we'll send one out.... overnight service as usual. I have a backup and begin using that .... for two days
    and then that night the backup breaks WTF ... powerbook is useless without a charge. ... next day I call apple, wheres my thing , let me check oh DHL runs out of ohio and its stuck there due to the snowstorm. I'm like alright things happen i'll wait till monday. I get the tracking number and check on monday morning "out for delivery" good, I figured it should be here before noon but won't. I give it sometime and call at 4pm ... "sir it should be there before before 5pm but the drivers are very swamped" waits tille like 6pm .. call bac "i'm not sure sir let me call you back" ... third call I tell them I"m dissapointed and its retarded that I pay for overnight shipping and not receive the item on monday at the latest... "sir we'll hot mark ( or some bs) and deliver it before noon"

Yeah its no surprise that DHL is a clear fourth on my list of companies I would use to ship stuff, infact lately i've been pretty impressed with Priority Mail from USPS 2-3 Days with delivery 6 days a week (this is for personal items and eBay stuff) and its cheap like $5 bucks so thats a preference for me recently.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, it's definitely not foolproof, and do they even have a tracking system, but I have to second USPS Priority. It seems like they always overdeliver -- things seem to come on the quick end of when they're supposed to. Also my apartment complex has 24 hour lock boxes for USPS only that they leave stuff in. :D And I love getting presents, even if I paid for them myself!

10. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I'd recommend TNT for deliveries in the UK, last time I used DHL the software I had ordered was stolen during transit :mad: so I won't be using them anytime soon.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

oh I agree, the tracking is subpar at best but if that keeps costs down, i'm fine with it. The other thing I like and this may sound strange, but theres less waiting, if my mail is delivered for a day I resolve myself that something will come tomorrow, with everything else its like oh are they gonna deliver by the target , will there be a mistake or misdelivery???? I'm an impatient guy but for some reason the mystery(less tracking) eases my pain.

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

DHL is horrible.

Dell uses DHL for most everything, so I have to deal with them at work. They are consistently late, the people on the phone are never any help (you could call 10 people and get 10 different answers as to where your stuff is), and I vow to never use them for personal shipments whenever I can help it.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's just not right, emw. They should refund your $10. Guess DHL don't have the same code of finishing every delivery. :(

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The driver did go the extra mile... home.

15. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I'm very careful not to take it out on the rep - they're not the ones leaving early. But I will work to get at least some satisfaction in terms of a shipping refund. In any case, I hope to get my iPod Monday...

16. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Sounds like a familiar tale... I agree on the USPS stuff if you have the choice. That or FedEx seem the most reliable.

17. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

At least not on the scheduled day... ;) The hard part about getting a refund is that they'll have to cut me a check, since it was paid for through another company. I'm sure I'll work something out... It's not the $10 - $15, it's the principle.