Arrrgh I hate smokers!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ravenvii, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I live on the second floor of a dorm. And my room is hot. I'm stuck, because when I open the window, the room's all good and cool, but the damn smokers outside pump foul smoke into the air and into my room, so I had to keep it closed and suffer the heat, or keep it open and suffer the vicious **** that they call smoke.

I wish tobacco kills quicker. We'd be rid of the lot sooner.

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

wow that's a bit heartless! Not to be a schmuck, but there are a fair amount of smokers on this forum, so maybe you may want to watch your words ;)

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

The vitriol against smokers has been fairly liberally dished out in the "do you smoke thread". I'll just second the, wish it killed quicker thought and I'll add that it's a shame it doesn't cause complete sterility as opposed to just predisposing to impotence and sub-fertility. A touch hard-line perhaps - thank god i don't work with adults.

4. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

man, I've been there. I know how you are feeling. just be glad you don't have to stay there all summer when its even hotter. oh the dorms. memories.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I recomend getting a window fan that will blow outward.

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Try putting a fan in your room instead of opening the window.
    Be thankful that you can open you window, at both my undergrad and grad schools the dorm windows dont open at all.

As far as the smokers go, sorry that it bothers you, but as a smoker i support their right to smoke outside. People that pop their collars bothers me probably about as much as smokers bother you. And popped collars are just as damaging to my mental health as second hand smoke is to your health.:p

7. UberMac macrumors 6502

Try moving to Scotland! They just banned smoking in public places - depending on your exact situation that could...or could not...help :)

Uber

8. dcv macrumors G3

Ugh that really sucks. I hate it when my neighbours smoke out of the window or on their roof terrace in the summer when my windows are open, but there's not a lot you can really do about it.

A fan might help... or get yourself a plug-in neutralising air freshener you can switch on when the smell gets too much. Failing that, keep a bucket of water handy by the window :D Muahahahaha [​IMG]

9. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Oh that does suck, where do you live because its about not that hot, only 45 here in MI. What makes me mad is when your on the highway and their cigarate butt either flys and hits your car or flys into your car.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Or the Southern California city of Calabasas, which has been making news (and controversy) around here with their new Second-Hand Smoke Control Ordinance.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

tobacco sucks, don't hate the smokers hate the drug, if you smoked say 5 ciggs you'd be addicted and the chances are you'd justify the addiction to yourself.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'd support his right to use a chamber pot.

And his right to empty it in the traditional fashion.

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

And what the hell is this supposed to mean?
    I love all of the posts that imply that it is ok to break the law and assault smokers. Brilliant!

14. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Why isn't this considered invading and disturbing the privacy of others just as too loud music, etc. is?
    You can't drink in public but you can smoke? But then again when was the last time the US did something that actually makes sense? :rolleyes:
    I'm not saying the smoking problem isn't one in other countries too but in the States it's just more evident with all the things you cannot do seeing the things you're in return allowed to.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I didn't say he had to dump it on them.

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Feign madness. Do it gradually and be subtle. Begin by talking to yourself, then shouting and waving your arms out the window.

Make strange chants late at night or when there's loads of 'em outside yer window. Shine torches out the windows while you're doing it.

Or get a big sign that says;

[​IMG]

And hook up some speakers making a hissing noise.

I want to see if this works. :p

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I was partially referring to someone elses post with that comment. Sorry for the confusion. However i still would like to know the reasoning behind your first comment as to me it makes little to no sense given the context.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- wishing death on people. Real cool raven. :rolleyes:

Quit your whining, get a fan and point it out the window.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Do you know what a chamber pot is and how it is (er, was) emptied?

20. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

^^^Yes and yes, still makes little sense in the context.
    Enough of this anyways, lets get back OT (i mean, to bashing smokers).

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It's not about bashing smokers, it is about people doing things that not only annoy others but also risk their health. This is why we're having this debate in the first place. Just smoke in your own home/car if you have to and leave others who don't in peace.
    I don't care as much but I know others do and why shouldn't it be that way that if it harms and disturbs people you shouldn't be allowed to do it publicly?

22. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

^^^And my constant response to this is then drive your car inside your house, as car emissions cause many health problems and destroy the environment.

I know it sounds silly, but it does hold a grain of truth. The thing is to me that this is not a clear cut problem that legislation can solve. This is not me trying to be an annoying smoker.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

While I don't hate smokers in general and feel that they should not be harassed about their stupid habit. However, I think that it is stupid for anyone to start lighting up. Especially around others and even children.

This is coming from a person who's mother died of Lung Cancer btw.

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The thing is that in the most cities this poses a significantly smaller risk than second-hand smoking. That is why this grain is a grain and reeeaaally small. ;)
    Now in the city I live I'll probably die with a black lung not having smoked one cigarette in my life.

25. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

^^^A smaller risk than second hand smoke? When the temperature is 140 degrees and the coastline has moved in 30 or so miles you may change your opinion. ;)