Arrrrgh! Lost ALL my Camino bookmarks / shortcuts?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Suddenly came up with a message when I started it up earlier this evening which said something like your bookmarks could not be read because it was not in the proper format.

Now I've got no bookmarks and no shortcut bar!?!

Such a thing never happened to me on Windows... didn't even think to back up this sort of thing. How can I get them back? or am I up the creek? Thanks.

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I guess that's the one nice thing about Firefox and it's multiple backup of bookmarks.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It doesn't look good but there is more info here, hopefully you are OK. :)

You probably want to CC this bug if you have no luck with it.

Also try downloading CamiTools for the future as that can back-up your bookmarks and stuff, you can also spoof the user agent to Firefox which makes Camino display more pages correctly.

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    As I said in the thread that Eraserhead linked to, it has happened to me many times. So now I just use del.icio.us, that way I can also access them when I'm not at home.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Weird it's never happened to me once, maybe because I have most of my bookmarks in Safari/Warwick Firefox as well ;)

6. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Thanks. I figured I was SOL. I prefer Shiira but so many sites report "you have a s**t browser" with that I never seriously used it... and being a Windoze refugee, I don't like jumping between browsers. I suppose I'll change my browser habits to Shiira/Safari and use Firefox when necessary.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's funny, I've used Camino as my main browser since it was called Chimera (version 0.5 or 0.6, I think), and this only happened to me once in all those years. Ironically, it was only about a month ago, JUST after installing the Universal version on my new MBP. Came as a shock to me after taking the stability for granted for so long, but I went ahead and installed CamiTools to make quick backups... and it's been fine since.

Guess it's growing pains from the 1.0 release or something, although bugs that nasty really shouldn't sneak out.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't Shiira based on Webkit? If so change the user agent to the same as Safari and the sites won't say "you have a s**t browser" no more.

You can do this by going to Shiira Menu==>Preferences==>Advanced==>User Agent Name==>Other

then type "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/412 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412" (without quotation marks) in the box.

EDIT if you aren't an American (especially if you don't speak English as your main language) and change the en-us to your language code. (you can find this out by selecting Safari 1.2 from the drop down list)

9. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Thanks Eraserhead, I worked it out yesterday as I was typing the previous post in this thread. No more "s*** browser" warnings but there are some functional issues. I guess life is about compromises <sigh>