Ars Technica Mac Mini Review

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Hoef, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

How were they mildly positive? Did you even read the article? They compared the performance to the McVeigh execution. It was a joke.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Huh? I hope no one took that seriously... the "benchmark" doesnt measure anything...

4. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

The guy didn't just criticize the mini; he scorned it. As in, he ridiculed it.

Unfortunately for him, his piece wasn't clever or funny. Just unprofessional and stupid.

Hey, by the same logic, why doesn't he ridicule the Shuffle? It's not as "powerful" as the Creative. It uses "yesterday's chips" in terms of memory. I mean, my digital camera had the same flash memory in 2002, right?

All the piece shows is that he does understand the potential (huge) appeal of that computer: its functionality for the average person.

I'll betcha that Ars review comes back to bite that "reviewer" in the butt six months from now when the mini is a hot seller. :)

5. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

It actually does get mildly, grudgingly, positive at the end; but overall, its consistent with the Ars Techica target reader world view: cutting edge machines suitable for the latest games (flashy clockspeed, FSB numbers, and $400 graphics cards). Note the digs at apple as a "chick" computer-- his wife's. For a more even-handed techie response, check out Slashdot's thread from yesterday. Most of those posters (unix/linux fans) want a mac mini as soon as possible.

6. thecow macrumors 6502

What was with the weird benchmarks? Was he timing how long it took to run xBench? This is one of the dumbest reviews I have ever read. He keeps contradicting himself and the whole thing makes no sense.

7. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Thank you for directing me to the Slashdot thread. You're right. It's more balanced (and informative).

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Arse-Technica?........is this in any way related to the "Feckarse Industries" of Father Ted fame?

I think the writer was trying to write a funny review, but it comes across to me as a disingenious attack on Apple. What a doofus.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I've actually liked some of their stories, but this one just sucked... Its way to lax and easy going. When you start comparing a computers speed to a death penalty then your whole piece goes out the window.

10. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Was trying to be sarcastic .... not sure what the right emoticon is for that :rolleyes:

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Here is one of the jokes:

What are the biggest uses for a personal computer today?

* pr0n web browsing Right here!!!
    * Word processing
    * Games