Arstechnica article "confirmed" dual core, dual proc Macs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dabirdwell, Apr 29, 2005.

1. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2002
    This page of the Ars article on Tiger includes a statement about confirmed dual core, dual processor Macs. Anyone else read this? Maybe it has already been discounted, but I guarantee John Siracusa knows more about Apple's interior workings than I do. Hmm

"Matters get worse when you consider a multi-CPU system. More simultaneous threads vying for the same number of kernel locks means more contention. There are no Macs with more than two CPUs right now. But let's face it, a dual-core, dual-chip Mac is inevitable at this point. ("Confirmed!!!") Such a beast won't take too kindly to a split funnel kernel. What's an OS to do?"

With sexy dual-core CPUs on the way, the removal of the split funnel may seem like the most important kernel change in Tiger. But the introduction of stable kernel programming interfaces is the real hero here. Without KPIs, none of the radical kernel changes in Tiger would have been possible. The KPIs finally set Apple's kernel development team free to do all the things they've always wanted to do.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Seems Tiger has a lot more under the hood improvements than we thought. Fine-granular kernels. Yummy!
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    So he says its confirmed, but doesn't offer a link or more of an explanation let alone when we'll see them.

There has been plenty talk of the 970MP - but no real evidence that its a dual core machine.

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Fine grain locking is very imporant to any smp system. I know freeBSD just got fine. It go to here that we now have it awell. With out it more than 2 cpu's doesn't make any sense.
  5. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think putting "confirmed" in quotation marks is a sarcastic reference to rumors sites like this one. It's a joke, people!

Yes, eventually we'll have dual-core Macs, but this reviewer knows no more about it than you or I do.