Arstechnica slams next-gen CPU's.

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 29, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Wow. Not pretty, that. At least the GPU's are vastly better than the original.

BTW...those who told me I was wrong by saying the CPUs on the XBox 360 was the same as the primary core in the PS3, and that they were in order processors (no OOE) it and weep, suckers :p

It's definitely worth a read. It explains everything about the next gen consoles processors, even the 1 teraflop vs 2 teraflop thing. If you'll excuse me I've got to go finish it.
  2. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Just like the previous Arstechnica said...

The new article points out:

IMHO they were concentrating on having the highest flop output, the biggest/fanciest numbers, etc., rather than real world performance. Possibly multimedia optimizations as well (like how the PS3 can run 12 HD videos at once while my PC can barely run one).

Could this give the Revolution some catchup room? Imagine if Nintendo just goes with a customized G5 processor instead of going for some exotic in-order PowerPC-based processor like the others. Despite having the cheaper system it could allow them to have a better processor.

OR they could put a cheaper processor in the system and have a better graphics card; since the competition has such sucky processors anyway...
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    This is only a surprise to the people who actually believed all that nonsense about the Cell et al. having a bajillion teraflops and being faster than any chip ever. Surprise surprise, just like the 3DO's M2, the N64's R4300i, and PS2's Emotion Engine before them, which all lured plenty of suckers in with wild claims in their day, these new chips are basically unremarkable gaming chips.

But it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters to the 14 year old kids who will be buying these things is that the Cell/Xenon 1) "have a lot of teraflops" (whatever those are) and 2) have a cool name. The goal is not to make the best games chip, the goal is to try to corner the market on idiots who get carried away by video game hype (it's a huge market).
  4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005

I'm holding out on Nintendo. I NEED my Nintendo games.
  6. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
  7. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002

anandtech pulled the article just recently.
  8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, its pretty obvious that these things are incredibly complex.
    I have a feeling that doing this will hurt developers more than help them because they'll need to spend so much time/money on techinal aspects than the creative.

Power is one thing, but isn't it getting ridiculous.
    I read that labview article on how labview uses something like dependence rules for concurrent execution, giving multithreading for free basically, but I think in the PS3/XBOX case its more assembly programming/tricks not just designing around multithreading that will cause grey hairs... in any case, debugging will seems like its gonna be a **tch.
  9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
  10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Wow, that's an awesome read, at least of the quoted part.
    For some reason, the link leads to a search page ...

But from what I saw, it doesn't look pretty for next-gen consoles.

I was hard pressed to decide what to get between a Revolution and a PS3. Reading this has made me lean more towards the Revolution, where before the HD capability of PS3 was calling to me. I would have loved HD though; I heard the Revolution was not HD capable ... is this true?
  11. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Don't know yet. Nintendo recently said they're not planning on HD support, but there are huge letter writing campaigns; we'll see.
  12. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Well...that explains that.
  13. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Seems you are the one with pie all over your face. The new Xenons and Cells are indeed fast, except developers need to rethink how they write their software to take advantage of the hardware.
  14. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    wait! forget ninty's next console, thats the biggest revolution in gaming! Playstation fanboys who care for anything other than graphics?! :eek:

seriously im quite glad to not enjoy the company of Microsoft or Sony, all this bickering about which console will be fastest wah-wah.
    we're getting to a stage now where you can 2 next-gen games from different consoles next to each other and they will look the same. take me, i dont keep up to date on the latest PS3/Xbox 360 games so if you showed me screenshots i would probably guess they're from the same machine. Nintendo will be the same, only interfacing with the game will be different. so stop crying about CPU and GPU speeds, especially these apparent 'pro' writers.
  15. acedickson macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2004
    What excites me the most about the PS3 is that it will play Blu-Ray discs and support 1080p.