Art Institute of Chicago, MANY MACS!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazyfortech, Mar 29, 2006.

1. crazyfortech macrumors member

A few days ago I went to the Art Institute of Chicago. There are SOOO MANY macs. In their library they had at least 10 g4 cubes, iMac intel & G4 in guest areas, eMacs EVERYWHERE, and all the art people you ask all have iMac G5's.
    Well now I can see why there are so many Macs, it's an art institute, a Mac is a beautiful piece of art! :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apparently it's also become a storage ground for elderly computers! :eek: ;) :D

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yeah, I was there in February and noticed that the info desks were outfitted with G4 iMacs. (I didn't see the library though.)

4. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Northern Michigan University is nice too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of their studios. I just missed these CPUs by a year.

5. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

My junior high/the whole K-8 uses Macs. Yay. Not that we're big enough to matter.:eek: haha
    Don't have the college experience yet.....:eek:
    If anyone cares:eek:, we primarily have eMacs, old iMacs, iBooks (some G4s), and... that's it, I believe.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

MY gf goes to the Art Institute. She's had nothing but trouble using their macs.

7. crazyfortech thread starter macrumors member

8. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I'm actually taking an Intro to Theatre class this semester, which requires me to go to the Performing Arts Center on campus. Walking through the faculty offices, I found quite a few 20-23" ACDs (accompanied by mostly G4's).

I thought it was limited to the Art School, but seeing them in the Theatre Department was a bit of a surprise for me.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Many, many Macs = Very, very cool! :)

All of those Power Mac G5s...drool... :)

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good to hear that they are starting you young students off right. :)

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You need to make that clear, then. The Art Institute was a school before it added a museum.

12. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

My old school was completey mac. from 1st grade all the way to 12th. It was really nice. There were only 3 windows PC in the building and those were used the lunch line.

Most of the computers are older iMac G4 (in the 500Mhz range) Most still have OS 9 on them also...unfortunantly. But i was just there this last weekend and they just put in a lab of G4 minis and an xserver (which is really freaking cool). I was talking to the tech admin and he said they are upping the ram in all the computers and putting 10.3.9 on all the computers. They also got a good shipment of eMacs in for all the teachers to use. They are finally updating everything there and i missed it by about a year. Kinda makes me mad.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Macs were very big at the science museum at the Palace in SF.

Attached Files: