ART Preamp question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by peejer, Mar 16, 2007.

1. peejer macrumors member

Hello,

i am wanting to boost the signal from my guitar into my 17" MBP. I am using garage band 3. I have done some research and from what I can tell I need a preamp to boost the signal to line level. OK. I am good with that. After looking around I am pretty much sold on the products by ART. There are four in particular that appeal to me and they are all in the ART tube MP Project series.

a: ART-Tube-MP-Professional-Mic-PreampProcessor $44
    b: Art Tube MP Project Series USB $99
    c: Art Tube MP studie V3 $69
    d: ART-Tube-MP-Project-Series-Tube-MicrophoneInstrument-Preamp $65Out

Out of all of these I thought I was most intrigued by the studio V3, that is until I called around my local shops and one clerk told me about the USB version. He said this was better since it bypassed the sound card.

So my questions are this: !) Does anyone use any of these and do you like them 2) Is there a grain of truth to the USB claim the clerk made?

Thanks for your thougts.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The ART series are decent tools for the dollars. You are NOT expecting the $50 tube preamp to be clean clear and un-coloured. They do distort the sound, but for guitar that may be in a good way. I have an ART tube pre and leverller (compressor) that I use with electric guitar.

If the ART with the USB connection has a halfways competent A/D convertor, then it potentially will be as good or better sound than pumping the analog audio through your line-in, and it certainly will be easier to balance levels.