Art project ideas...?

Discussion in 'Community' started by poundsmack, Jun 20, 2005.

1. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

I am working at a summer camp with kids ages 10-14. I am in desperate need of some art project ideas to do with them that are cheap and easy. please help! :confused:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

At a crafts store you can often buy bulk quantities of popsicle sticks cheaply. Supply glue, perhaps some colored paper, and let them use their imaginations. They can make decorations, construction projects (bridges are good), animals, robots, (wheel-less) vehicles, 2D pictures, or whatever they think of. You don't have to be inventive - they do! Give out prizes or certificates for some of them, in various categories that come to mind once you see what they come up with.

3. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Ideas fo rthe younger ones...

I used to do some work with kids years ago.

We used to combine art with drama. Get an idea for a basic play (or even let the kids come up with a story of their own), work out the characters, then with just some card, paints, paste, glitter, markers (non-permanent!!), help them design & make masks.

Trust me, you'll never have seen little kids so involved! They'll need supervision with scissers & stuff, and you might need to get someone else on board to help out with putting the play together.

It's not too much of a structured thing. More play. the 'show' at the end of the session is usually a complete shambles (sometimes very funny) and will probably only last minutes.

Trust me, this will hold their imagination. Kids love making stuff, masks, and being part of something. Big points to be scored there.

My advice would be to pass this idea off as your own, and got someone hot to help you. She'll think it's cute......

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Poster paints and large sheets of paper are always easy. I do lots of supervision of elementary aged kids, and giving them paint and paper is always easy and cheep. While not particularly inspiring, it does get the job done.

I have tons of other ideas, but I have to go to school right now (last day!).