Artifacts from WTC site

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Dec 21, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

This is interesting, especially the copy of the New York Times that was found inside a girder.... nothing special about that, except it is dated 1969 and placed there during construction. :eek:

http://www.pbs.org/americarebuilds/artifacts/artifacts_05.html

2. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Very interesting to see what was found and what kind of condition it was in.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the link iGav. That newspaper was in remarkably good condition. Very unique musem quality items.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think this used to be a BMW, judging by the straight-6 engine and wheels.

5. veedubdrew macrumors regular

I'd say it's a Jeep Cherokee. The rims are stamped steel, very rare on a BMW, and the engine appears to be an overhead valve, much like the "Power Tech" 4.0L inline-six used since the beginning of time by Jeep. BMWs have always used an overhead cam design, and this engine doesn't have one.

>I think this used to be a BMW, judging by the straight-6 engine >and wheels.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

it's pretty incredible really when you think about the whole destruction of the towers.

Imagine had they not have been destroyed, no one would ever have known it was there, and Silverstein had just taken out a 99 year lease on the buildings, so it could have been a long, long time before it was actually discovered....

I hope they do provide a thorough Museum of artifacts from both pre-9/11 and after, although at the moment, it's still incredibly painful for many people, over time people will want to see these artifacts, the same way as we excavate and display archeology today.

This whole event and rebuilding project has such a kinship with my birth town (Coventry) and raising from the ashes after been almost totally flattened by the Nazi's, that I just hope they do it properly, unlike the majority of Coventry, where they say that the Council has managed something even Hitler couldn't.... they destroyed the city. :(

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Erm, how can you tell that the wheels are stamped steel? There are five though, I think, and that most definitely is a pushrod engine...

edit: fixed my grammar

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Interesting stuff. That newspaper is pretty incredible, considering the damage inflicted on everything at the site.