As if Recording all of our data werent enough...

Discussion in 'Community' started by drastik, Nov 22, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

After getting the funding to commandeer all of our data sans warrent, the Information Office had a new idea, make internet anonymity impossibel too.

From the New York Times: (free w/registration)

The plan, known as eDNA, called for developing a new version of the Internet that would include enclaves where it would be impossible to be anonymous while using the network. The technology would have divided the Internet into secure "public network highways," where a computer user would have needed to be identified, and "private network alleyways," which would not have required identification.

Several people familiar with the eDNA discussions said such secure areas might have first involved government employees or law enforcement agencies, then been extended to security-conscious organizations like financial institutions, and after that been broadened even further.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sounds scary. I can imagine going do a dark alleyway and finding all my important information stolen.

I would hope that there would still be encryption available to private citizens so that their own machines would be private.

After all, you can still smoke and drink in your own house, even if you can't do it everywhere in public.

3. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

whatever is released, it can be hacked

this reminds me of XP (activation) in which M$ collected data about you and your computer... but it too was hacked, even before it came out.

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040