As Iraqis Stand Up....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

.... they mutiny?
    Good thing coalition troops can stand down as the Iraqis stand up....

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The British were run out of a part of Iraq?

What do you know? History does repeat itself.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Would you really call it mutiny? A revolt maybe. Mutiny implies something else entirely.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd call it knowing when to call it a day. Probably better than the US version, which would be to conduct a full-scale armoured and aerial assault and create 50,000 more insurgents.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ain't it the truth.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think it matters what you call it. These are the people whom we are depending on to get ourselves out of Iraq, and they defy orders and attack their own?

That does not bode well for our "stand up, stand down" strategy.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whoever thought that "strategy", as you jokingly call it, would work anyway? This sounds like an excellent response: just withdraw and leave them to it. Perhaps US forces should do the same.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I read this "version" of the event in the paper this morning, and I have a hard time believing it happened this way. It makes no mention of the actual Iraqi security forces revolting against the US-led coalition. Seems like an attempt to play down the fact that we aren't wanted in Iraq.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, the problem with complete withdrawal is, now that we're screwed up the country, there is no good "exit strategy".

At least when Saddam was in power, you had a ruthless but secular dictator keeping things in order.

If we were to withdraw completely now, the most likely scenario is that the civil war would worsen, there would be no law in the country, and Iraq would turn into the new "safe haven" for every terrorist under the sun.

Whether this is a good scenario for us depends on whether you think those terrorists are going to concentrate on killing each other or on vengeance against the United States and all other "infidels".

But big props to Georgie for putting us in a "damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't" situation.

10. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I can think of one:
    declare victory and get out

personally, I'm waiting for the shot of the helicopter lifting the last remaining members of the civilian admin. off the roof of some Iraqi building.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's a real danger of Iraq becoming another Somalia and the winners of that mess have been radical islamists.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Agreed. I don't really know what to think. I want us to leave, but I don't want it to get worse. But it already is getting worse with us there. Cut and run vs. stay and die... hm, good choices.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cut & run, there isnt much there thats worth Americans getting killed for now that Bush & gang screwed it all up. Only reason we were ever there was oil and they were pumping more with Saddam then they are with Bush & gang. Lets go. Lets also be sure to point out those who took us there. Vote out all incumbants.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Somalia is being sorted out very efficiently by the UIC. What the hell's wrong with that?

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The UIC has every chance of becoming another Taliban. I don't seem to remember them doing Afghanistan a whole lot of good....

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure there is. The Murtha Plan. Withdraw the bulk of our forces to Kuwait and Kurdish-controlled areas to the north. Allow the Iraqis to deal with their security, keep an eye on things, and go back in when and where we have to in order to prevent terrorist encampments from forming.

We can either stay and watch the country descend into civil war, or we can leave and watch the country descend into civil war.