AS/Obj-C/Cocoa: Retrieving SMSes from Google Voice upon delivery?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by moonman239, May 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2009
    So here's the deal. I want my phone to be able to send commands to my Mac via SMS. The idea is that I want to build an app that allows people to send commands to their Mac. I suppose I could use push e-mail, and probably will because I can send e-mails from my phone. I would rather not, because not everyone has Internet access on their cellphones. Yes, they could probably store an e-mail address in their phones, but I don't think they would like having to do that.
  2. macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    I googled this:
    google voice api

and found this:

I also found a lot of other articles, posts, etc. on places like Stack Overflow, google code, etc. that are more discouraging. So unless Google publishes a stable API, like Amazon has done for S3, then you should make a strong effort to isolate the low-level details from everything else.

And unless you make some additional effort at security (authentication in particular), don't be surprised if someone texts you an 'rm -fR ~' command that wipes an account.
  3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2009
    I'm not very worried about security. As long as the program only responds to SMSs from phone numbers that the user designates, I think everything will be just fine.