Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12366-2003Mar22.html

Reuters
Saturday, March 22, 2003; 10:26 PM

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood launched a another strike against the Iraqi war on Saturday during a politically charged ceremony that could serve as a prelude for even more fireworks at the Academy Awards the next evening.

In a star-studded luncheon at the Independent Spirit Awards, the arthouse movie industry's version of the Oscars, celebrities blasted President Bush and the American-led war against Iraq.

Most outspoken was documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, the man behind the popular anti-gun expose "Bowling for Columbine," whose title refers to the Colorado high school where two students massacred 13 people in 1999.

"The lesson for the children of Columbine this week is that violence is an accepted means by which to solve a conflict," Moore told the 1,000 attendees gathered under a marquee on Santa Monica Beach as he accepted the Spirit Award for best documentary. "That's the lesson for the kids."

Wearing a badge that said, "Shoot movies, not Iraqis," Moore called Bush a "fictitious president" who was waging "terrorism."

He later told reporters he had spoken to a number of Oscar nominees who said they planned to acknowledge the war in acceptance speeches if they won in their categories. Moore's film is nominated for a best documentary Oscar, but he said he doubted he would win again on Sunday.

Julianne Moore, star of the Independent Spirits' big winner "Far From Heaven," spoke in more measured tones, "We're parents and we teach our children not to fight. Fighting's not the answer," she said as she accepted the best actress prize, one of five won by the 1950s drama.

Moore, who received Academy Award nominations for both "Far From Heaven" and "The Hours," said she would "play it by ear" with regard to any Oscar-night comments about the war. But she was similarly dismissive of her Oscar chances.

PEACE LAPEL PINS

Her co-star, Dennis Quaid, who won for his supporting role as a gay husband, said he did want to "politicize" the Independent Spirits. "It's a strange time for all of us," he told reporters backstage.

Quaid was one of the few guests not wearing a peace lapel pin; he explained that he had just flown in from a shooting in Montreal and was a little disoriented.

Other actors had no qualms about getting political. "Secretary" star Maggie Gyllenhaal, who was a presenter, said the war was about "oil and imperialism."

Actor/filmmaker Mike White, who won for his screenplay for the Jennifer Aniston black comedy "The Good Girl," said, "Let's use a little more spirit this year to get Bush out of office."

It was not all high drama though. The event's host, offbeat director John Waters, said in his opening remarks that these were indeed "scary times." But he added, "Saddam Hussein, George Bush -- no one will stop me from getting my gift bag."

Unlike the Academy Awards, which dispensed with the red carpet this year in order to minimize the frivolity at a grave time, the Independent Spirits maintained its arrivals line, allowing the casually dressed guests to pose for paparazzi and chat with reporters.

Singer/songwriter Elvis Costello set the anti-war tone for the leisurely affair by performing his cover of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?" a Nick Lowe song originally written as a parody of peace anthems.

In addition to the actress and supporting actor prizes, "Far From Heaven" won for director (Todd Haynes), best picture and cinematographer (Oscar nominee Edward Lachman).

Best actor prize went to newcomer Derek Luke, star of the urban drama "Antwone Fisher," who recalled that he had been a waiter at the event about four years ago.

These celebrities are weird, and almost make me sick. They live in a bubble, protected by their millions, and have no real idea of what's going on. It's also like some canadian basketball player who denounced America for going to war. These guys really need to get a grip of reality... These guys are way too liberal...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Ah yes, I found it. This is an interesting tidbit I found online:

>Subject: Peace Activist Etiquette _
_
With all of this talk of impending war, many of us will encounter "Peace _
Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from _
retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001, _
and those who support terror. _
_
These activists may be alone or in a gathering.....most of us don't know _
how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of _
their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette: _
_
1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a _
conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They _
will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who _
did this to us, we will only bring on more violence. They will probably _
use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to humanitarian. _
_
2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in _
the nose. _
_
3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry _
and they may try to hit you, so be careful. _
_
4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings _
about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell _
them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved _
attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell _
them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are _
saying. _
_
5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are _
correct. _
_
6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them _
much harder. Square in the nose. _
_
7. Repeat steps 2-5 until the desired results are obtained and the _
idiot realizes how stupid of an argument he/she is making. _
_
8. There is no difference in an individual attacking an unsuspecting _
victim or a group of terrorists attacking a nation of people. It is _
unacceptable and must be dealt with. Perhaps at a high cost. _
_
We owe our military a huge debt for what they are about to do for us and _
our children. We must support them and our leaders at times like these. We _
have no choice. We either strike back, VERY HARD, or we will keep getting _
hit in the nose. _
_
Lesson over, class dismissed

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Are they completely stupid? 76% of the American population supports this war and I'm willing to bet most, including me don't really give a rats big fat a-- what they think about the war. I hope that the oscars get the worst ratings they ever have so it sends a clear message to Hollywood... WE DON'T CARE!!!

spony

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2003
These guys are way too liberal...

This is a great argument considering your opinion is ofcourse the manifestation of all that is true and just in this world. Thier political view must be some sort of illness.

They live in a bubble, protected by their millions, and have no real idea of what's going on.

No but you know everything right? I see from your second post regardless of who's right or wrong resorting to violence will always solve the issue.

Really constructive post, I learned a lot.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by spony
This is a great argument considering your opinion is ofcourse the manifestation of all that is true and just in this world. Thier political view must be some sort of illness.

No but you know everything right? I see from your second post regardless of who's right or wrong resorting to violence will always solve the issue.

Really constructive post, I learned a lot.

How many of todays club of actors have been in the military? How many have ran for public office? Not in the past, I'm talking all the mouth moving idiots of today. The fact of the matter is these people love to hear themselves speak (ever hang out with drama majors?). Their life experiences, or lack of, does not warrent their voice being heard on the matter. Especially when they have so much power to get in people's faces.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
How many of todays club of actors have been in the military? How many have ran for public office? Not in the past, I'm talking all the mouth moving idiots of today. The fact of the matter is these people love to hear themselves speak (ever hang out with drama majors?). Their life experiences, or lack of, does not warrent their voice being heard on the matter. Especially when they have so much power to get in people's faces.

and how many of people in general have run for office or served in the military???

i personally find some of the protesters' focus on bush and not on violence/war in general a bit annoying, as i think it should be less about bush and more about the general violence taking place.... because it'snot just bush behind it. though he certainly is the main proponent.

the second post of this thread... the etiquette guide, is a joke. at least what i bothered to read of it. the first paragraph alone shows how stupid the whole thing will be. protesting against war against iraq is not protesting against bringing terrorists to justice. iraq's ties to terrorism aren't even as strong as saudi arabia's or many other nations... so good try there.

just read the rest of the etiquette thing. funny. resort to violence rather than discussion. not surprising. some of the pro war folks are idiots

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
and how many of people in general have run for office or served in the military???

i personally find some of the protesters' focus on bush and not on violence/war in general a bit annoying, as i think it should be less about bush and more about the general violence taking place.... because it'snot just bush behind it. though he certainly is the main proponent.

the second post of this thread... the etiquette guide, is a joke. at least what i bothered to read of it. the first paragraph alone shows how stupid the whole thing will be. protesting against war against iraq is not protesting against bringing terrorists to justice. iraq's ties to terrorism aren't even as strong as saudi arabia's or many other nations... so good try there.

just read the rest of the etiquette thing. funny. resort to violence rather than discussion. not surprising. some of the pro war folks are idiots

Right, but you're assuming that the ones that are in the military, the ones that are serving public office deserve to be demoralized by all of this? These actors wouldn't know what to do if they got a jury duty card...

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
Not to sound right-wing or anything but I think we're reaping the harvest of the liberal college campuses in this country. I thought you were supposed to be taught HOW to think at college not just what to think.
I've had experiences with these people because I went to a liberal college. It boggles the mind. This is still a brutal world we live in and thugs like Saddam will never go away. Their policy? Hunker down and hope for the best. Don't piss them off and maybe they'll like us.
Jesus freaking Christ!
We gave this ****** every opportunity to cooperate and he's proven himself a nefarious, dastardly, conniving son of a bitch.
Have these people forgotten what happened on 9-11? The postal anthrax attacks?
Yes, we may have strategic interests of the oil resources of Iraq but we are an oil hungry nation. WE ARE. It's the very engine of our economy.
You know these idiots will be crying when they have to pay more at the pump to get to their protest rallies.
It's empathy run amuck. Also a zero ability to think logically.
F*cking morons.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: As Oscars Near, Hollywood Blasts Iraq War.

Originally posted by G4scott
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12366-2003Mar22.html

These celebrities are weird, and almost make me sick. They live in a bubble, protected by their millions, and have no real idea of what's going on. It's also like some canadian basketball player who denounced America for going to war. These guys really need to get a grip of reality... These guys are way too liberal...

i just thought it would be nice for you all to read this post again. im sorry but it doesnt seem to be from someone who believes in freedom. this isnt ment to offend. i just think we need to respect each others opinions if we want to be a true america.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Right, but you're assuming that the ones that are in the military, the ones that are serving public office deserve to be demoralized by all of this? These actors wouldn't know what to do if they got a jury duty card...

you assume they ARE demoralized by it... many people are appreciative of people expressing their opinions, even if they don't agree with them. believe it or not.

also, you are assuming these people are dumb (the actors)... how dumb is that? don't get me wrong, many are. but plenty aren't.... nathalie portman goes to harvard. and many go to schools like columbia, nyu, etc... people like tim robbins are quite well spoken and intelligent. but hey, keep bashing. :rolleyes:

ifeelbloated- the anthrax attacks were conducted by whom? well, last i know, the best lead we had was that it was someone on the inside... not an iraqi. so where's the connection? how many of the hijackers on september 11th were iraqi?

you make some brilliant points amidst your broad generalizing attacks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I say we need to launch missles against the liberals that oppose up. I say whatever the white house wants GOES. And if you disagree, to damn bad.

Let launch some cruise missles...nah to small scale... how about a nerve agent, yes, we will find anyone who speaks out and put an end to them RIGHT away. yes... excellent.

How dare they they speak, HOW DARE THEY!

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
They have a voice in America and they use it. The left has Hollywood to voice their views once in awhile and the right has AM radio and Fox News to voice its opinion each and every weekday.

Plus they control the House, Senate, White House and Supreme Court. Who make the decisions and are not just debating them.

So begrudge the Hollywood elite for their views, but realise that, in perspective, they're pissing upriver to stop a flood.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated

Yes, we may have strategic interests of the oil resources of Iraq but we are an oil hungry nation. WE ARE. It's the very engine of our economy.

your not using that as an argument for this war are you? if thats the case...well damn i crave a lot of things....does that give me the right to take it by force?

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Originally posted by beatle888
HITLER YEA NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL.
its funny how people on these boards tends to come off as more "SADDAM" then "AMERICAN".

they way these people state their pro war views do it in a way that is very anti american.

I think we've established in an earlier thread that "pro-war" is no longer applicable.

The new term is "anti-peace" ;)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
ok then. so you guys realize how crazy some of this pro war stuff is?

ok ok, i thought you guys were serious. damn i was like what the hell.....these guys are a bunch of saddams themselves and they call liberals anti american :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by beatle888
ok then. so you guys realize how crazy some of this pro war stuff is?

ok ok, i thought you guys were serious. damn i was like what the hell.....these guys are a bunch of saddams themselves and they call liberals anti american :D

not everyone is kidding.... but i think myself, mrmacman, and pseudo agree with you in general

correct me if i'm wrong

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
you assume they ARE demoralized by it... many people are appreciative of people expressing their opinions, even if they don't agree with them. believe it or not.

also, you are assuming these people are dumb (the actors)... how dumb is that? don't get me wrong, many are. but plenty aren't.... nathalie portman goes to harvard. and many go to schools like columbia, nyu, etc... people like tim robbins are quite well spoken and intelligent. but hey, keep bashing. :rolleyes:

ifeelbloated- the anthrax attacks were conducted by whom? well, last i know, the best lead we had was that it was someone on the inside... not an iraqi. so where's the connection? how many of the hijackers on september 11th were iraqi?

you make some brilliant points amidst your broad generalizing attacks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Try this then... I AM in the military and I AM demoralized by it. Feel better?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Try this then... I AM in the military and I AM demoralized by it. Feel better?

fair enough. but not everyone is. and that is not the intent of the protests.

just as it's not the intent of the bombing to kill civilians, it does happen. likewise, it doesn't mean that these people are stupid, just that they disagree.

sorry that you are demoralized, and let me just speak for myself that i personally am against the war precisely because i don't want to see death on our side or theirs. our servicemen don't need to die for this. and therefore, i feel i support you all just as strongly or moreso than warhawks

ps. my dad was in the army for around 28 years (+- a few?). lived in korea for a couple years. my family lived in germany and england... so i'm not 100% detached.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
By the way, saying that a degree from Harvard makes you smart is like saying a bible wielding preacher is always a saint. I know some pretty stupid people at Harvard.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
By the way, saying that a degree from Harvard makes you smart is like saying a bible wielding preacher is always a saint. I know some pretty stupid people at Harvard.

yeah, of course. and bush went to an ivy league and look at him eh?

however, saying that someone is stupid because someone is famous is even more off.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
navy,

one has to let others have their own opinions. and not be hostile about them. how can you expect everybody to believe in the same things? thats only going to happen in a saddam brand of government. i know you dont want that otherwise you wouldnt be so anti saddam.

we can want our soldiers to come home safely and still be against the presidents motives. it is america. we have that right. if people were forced to believe in the same things as you or tortured for feeling differently, would you feel that would be a better america?

its good that we tolerate each others points of views. we will learn more from each other.

i, or any other that has a bit of a brain is not going to be swayed by negative general statements and bickering. there hasnt been one pro war argument on these forums that i would except because they tend to concentrate more on telling the anti war posters that they are stupid or anti american and weak liberals.

to me that doesnt come across as intelligence. and it sort of discredits any valid points they were trying to make.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
yeah, of course. and bush went to an ivy league and look at him eh?

however, saying that someone is stupid because someone is famous is even more off.

But just because they are famous and make a lot of money doesn't mean they have to try to express their opinions to influence the public all the time.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
But just because they are famous and make a lot of money doesn't mean they have to try to express their opinions to influence the public all the time.

and yet you say that none have run for office? you seem to contradict yourself..

also, should arnold schwarzenegger should also shut up about politics? and dennis miller? and other conservatives? or is it just the rich and famous liberals that can't speak their opinions in this free countr?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002

NOPE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

THAT RIGHT COMES WITH THEIR AMERICAN CITIZANSHIP.

OH DAMN I GOTTA LEAVE THIS THREAD.

LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.