"As The Apple Turns" radio version to air Monday at 8PM Ea...

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by MacBytes, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

I love Jack and AtAT but WTF?!? The host of the show isn't Jack, it's some kid named Emmet Stackelburg who is only TWELVE FREAKIN' YEARS OLD?!?

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Not to mention he's a "very recent recruit to the Mac platform." I may still listen just to check it out.

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

best I can tell it's that the 12 year old reads AtAT, writes a script that incorporates a week's worth of stuff, then records himself reading it.

If he writes asking about macbytes... I'll say no thanks :cool:

<edit> i'll make my mind up later ;) </edit>

4. pourhadi macrumors member

The purpose, for the most part, is to provide people a quick place to get a recap of AtAT if they don't have time to sit down and read three scenes of stuff a day (I know several people who avoid AtAT for shorter things like CARS because they're just too busy to go through all the content).

The kid may be 12, but he's got a good radio voice, and he makes the show worth listening to if you don't have the time to read AtAT, or if you would like a background recap while you do other work.

Jack Miller from AtAT gave us his blessing and, telling from his email, was pretty impressed with the samples he listened to.

Dan Pourhadi
    MUGradio.com

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

6. powermac99 macrumors member

powermac99

7. mattf macrumors newbie

The show will air at 20.00 EDT tonight - I think everyone can wait long enough for the show to air :)

-m

8. gerardrj macrumors regular

This makes no sense really. It takes less time to skim text than to listen to the entire text. When you skim you can pick up queues and stop to read sections in detail, when you listen, you can't (easily) skim, you have to listen to the entire thing.

If your doing something else while listening, then you're probably going to re-listen several times because most people can't divide their attention equally between two tasks.

9. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

OK... listening to the AtAT radio show right now...

Not good. Bad voice quality, too many mess-ups, needs to slow down. Obviously not going to last long.

10. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

Definitely not like AtAT on the radio. Practice kid.

11. bennok macrumors member

Agreed.

12. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

There are plenty of other sources for that. I don't watch Nickelodeon for the same reason as this show.

No he doesn't. He sounds like a chimunk. Why don't they have kids hosting CNN? Because they are for the most part annoying to listen to, they don't really sound like they are well informed, and they are really annoying to listen to.

On the whole I'm happy nobody is spending much money on this, neither on media nor on writing. I mean, 20gig iPod for 399? Who are you joking? People have time to read. If they want old info, they can subscribe to MacAddict or MacWorld. If they want the good news, in a non-annoying medium then its Macrumors or Macbytes.

13. pourhadi macrumors member

Hopefully one day you guys'll stop acting like politicians and learn that some things are done simply for the fun of it.

We don't advertise on MUGradio, so we're not making money - we do it because we enjoy doing it, and believe it or not, there are people who said they enjoy the show (even Jack Miller said the recordings were "very, very good"). I know of some older folks who have a hard time reading AtAT, and listening to the show is much easier for them then reading it.

I don't know if you've all been de-sensitized so much where you can't just look at something and go, "that's neat", instead you have to mock and criticize.

We enjoy putting the show together, there are people who enjoy listening to it - if you don't, that's fine, I'm sure you can find better things to do with your obviously precious time then complaining about something you don't even have to worry about.

14. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Well, if you are doing the show, don't bank on the approval of this board. I hated it, it seems like other people disliked it as much as I. Have your fun, and go ahead and post a thread to alert us of it, but don't expect us to be all kindergarden teacher on you.

15. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Why is everyone making a stink? Yeah, so he's 12. Any one of us at 12 would probably love the chance to do that. Some of you at 32 probably would STILL love the chance to do that. Was it perfect? No, but it wasn't meant to be. Also, this was his first show. Man, were people that cruel to you when you were young? Are you that bitter that people were mean to you as children that you must do the same? Try giving it time to evolve instead of bashing it out of the water. After all, that DC 101 shock jock is never gonna make it. :/

16. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

When you set out to do something well, you mean it to be perfect, or else It sucks really bad, which this did. I don't see what everyone is talking about, the show was terrible and thats that. Get a better voice (the kid sucks period) and get better writers and make it up to date. THen the superficial drabble your churning out may have a chance.

17. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

Exactly. I hate to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but I could do a better job. From broadcasting class/real-life experience, I've noticed that he had poor inflection. He put it in the wrong place... he sounded like he had never seen it before and just read it, first glance. And he wavered way too much. I'm sorry, but that did not do AtAT justice.

18. bennok macrumors member

I agreed with the point: "Bad voice quality, too many mess-ups, needs to slow down."
    I think it is cool what MUGradio is doing, and I respect that the kid read the show and got the opportunity to do that.
    When I first read about the show, I was pretty excited, but I found I really couldn't stand listening to it after a while. It wasn't really informative or entertaining to me, and the drawn out bit against the Sony music player seemed drawn out, biased, and boring.
    As someone else said, it really didn't do AtAT justice.

I mean this purely as constructive criticism, as I think it's a great idea and there is a lot of room for improvement.

19. pourhadi macrumors member

That's appreciated. As stated, this is the first episode, and obviously there are kinks to be worked out...

20. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

There are gifted youths, I'm not saying that there isn't a 12 year old out there that can hold his own, I've seen many protégées in my time that were way ahead of their years. However, there's something to be said with age and maturity, it's not overrated. I think it's a splended idea but realize that Jack/AtAT sets a pretty high bar and people who are going to tune in are either going to be listening for Jack or Jack's voice or his very dry, acerbic, and off the wall humor. That's a gift not many people have, and humor like that takes a while to develop in any person. It may be an idea to repackage the show as something other than AppleTurns on the air but rather a commentary on the state of Mac or something. I'm not trying to devalue either MUGradio or the kid's ambition and the fact that he wants to do a show about the Mac is incredibly admirable. Just it's got to be handled in a way that makes the most sense for both the host and the audience.

I wish both Emmet and MUGradio success, what I'm saying is maybe try a different approach and/or find someone who's got more maturity to not only understand Jack's humor, be able to accel at it and parlay it in the medium that conveys the episodes as read on the air, with wittisisms peppered in there.

Sorry to be less than constructive before with the kneejerk, that's wasn't helpful of the situation.

PR

21. tuc macrumors 6502

What happened to the AppleTurns site?

Speaking of Jack and www.appleturns.com, what happened to them?
    I used to read that site every day, but they've been AWOL since the
    end of April. April 28th, to be exact, and they say "we'll see you next
    week" but I guess not.

22. tuc macrumors 6502

23. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

As the song goes - been gone too long...

Oh well, all good things must pass. I liked them a lot also, but gave up quite some time ago. If they ever come back on line again, perhaps someone will post out here and I'll find out about it.