ASDL in the UK for Mac users?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Falleron, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, I have heard that ASDL has poor support for Mac Users in the UK. I am thinking of getting ASDL through BTOpenworld + have heard many reports that the drivers are pretty rubbish on the Mac which causes it to crash a lot. Does anyone have any experience? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'm using BTBroadband, with airport and a bunch of computer hooked up (including a tibook running the latest version of OSX), and by and large i find it to be acceptable. If I leave the tibook long enough then the connection times out, but i rather suspect that's more of an airport issue that at the BT end.

Drivers? What drivers? I've not had to install anything on any of the macs (apart from airport drivers).

Speeds are fairly decent. I've seen downloads of anything up to 80kb/s (from the apple web site). It slows down early evening, but other than that it's just fine.

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Really, I thought the modem you get from BT has its own drivers? I heard that these were not to stable on the mac. How have you got your computers set up? ASDL modem --> airport (or hub) + then to everthing else?

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

The only thing i got direct from BT was the microfilter. I like to shop around for myself, rather than have standard issue crap which I've not had a chance to look at myself. The ADSL modem I bought myself. It's a D-Link DSL-300G+. The setup is: Microfilter in the phone socket (duh!), connected to the ADSL modem, which connects to the airport base station via a cat. 5 ethernet. I then have my tibook with the administrative powers, sharing the internet connection to the other 3 computers in the house via airport.

Works fine, most of the time. Some mornings i have to reset the aiport connection, but other than that it's fairly smooth running.

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Couldn't you get your aiport base station to dynamically allocated your internet connection instead of you TiBook? Hmm, having to buy an asdl modem as well as a router is going to make this an expensive option for me. I wish I could get cable (they provide the modem).

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I suppose i could have done it that way, but i'm in the middle of revising for end-of-year exams, and don't have all that much time to fiddle around with the settings.

7. Interiority macrumors member

I have a Telewest cable connection which works really well. The cable modem plugs into my Netgear router / switch / firewall. My computers (PCs and Macs) then plug into the ethernet ports on the switch, with no drivers to install whatsoever. The Netgear device also acts as a DHCP server, so IP addresses are allocated automatically.

8. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I want telewest! However, the cable goes down the WHOLE of my road but does not come to my house!!! Dont ask me why they did the rest of the road + not mine!