Ashcroft Recuses Himself From Probe of C.I.A. Leak

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 30, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

wow, it's about time. and i imagine that's the same Patrick Fitzgerald who participated in (headed?) the case against former IL governor George Ryan, recently indicted.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This can only mean that the probe has come close to people linked to Ashcroft. Rove and friends might look into getting legal representation.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

or that everything incriminating has already been shredded...

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As Ollie North showed, that certainly is possible. I'm hoping that some career folks in justice told Ashcroft that his ties to Rove in his old campaign mandate he recuse himself. This has looked like a Rove inspired hit all along, so it would fit if that is why Ashcroft had to take this step.

5. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I'm not sure how this is going to shake out...
    1. Immediate reaction is that the investigation is getting close to Rove who was Asscroft's campaign manager once, so there's the conflict. The fact that it was announced during a slow news cycle backs this.
    2. It could be that there is going to be a full whitewash and with Asscroft out of the investigation it can be "proved" to be impartial.

I'm definitely hoping it's #1

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm hoping it's number 3 -- that no one in high office right now is so crooked as to risk the life of a CIA operative (and his family) for political purposes.

Okay, you can stop laughing now.

7. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

okay, pseudobrit, I just stopped laughing now.
    On a related note, what about Novak who wrote the column outing Plame? As much as I think that sources of leaks are valuable and should be protected, this case is such a blatant misuse of the whole system that it should be exposed.
    How did this leak benefit the public? It didn't (unless it brings down the bush administration). The leak was intended pure and simple as revenge to silence administration critics and if Novak wasn't such a tool he would have realized that and not printed the story. The other 6 journalists who were shopped the leak all declined to print it. Maybe one of them should leak who called them to one of their fellow journalists to fix this whole mess.

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Re: Ashcroft Recuses Himself From Probe of C.I.A. Leak

My thoughts exactly!

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

a friend of mine who's a journalist pointed out a possibility about appointing mr. fitzgerald - since he recently indicted former governor george ryan, a republican, he's seen as the impartial go-to guy. but it might be a misdirect, and mr. fitzgerald would then not find anything at all.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I ran across this interesting speculation by John Dean about this case.