Ashes blarny and miscellaneous pontifications.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Nov 13, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I popped into the scg yesterday to see England get another thrashing but Kev, Fred and Straussy didn't do too badly on what looked like a pretty good wicket.

OK so England were badly beaten by the PM's XI but that was pretty well played down but what can England take from this 3 day knock around.

I guess the only positives were that Fred and KP got a bit of badly needed batting practice but on the negative side, I think Bell's 2 ball duck will do some serious psychological damage. He's been batting pretty well and is full of confidence imagining that he has grown up from a boy to a man since the last Ashes, however he was back in diapers after his second ball and he has one match left in Adelaide to undo the damage of 2005. I fear a bad result there could make him a real doubt for the first test, which would be a big surprise.

The bowlers didn't do too much either. Fred hasn't taken a wicket yet although he has been bowling some tidy overs but he is expected to do a lot more than that. With Harmy looking fairly harmless, Fred will be a go to strike bowler (if one can go to oneself that is). Monty has had a fair go but as yet he has not looked like the strike spinner that he is meant to be, which could see Giles playing in Brissy. Mind you Mahmoud is looking like a moderately useful tailender these days.

As for the wicket keeper, is it any more settled than before they came to Australia, it was starting to look like Jonesy would be back but he's been playing like a big girls blouse. In Canberra he seemed to only be concerned with not getting out. He hasn't done much better in Sydney either hitting a tame 13 off 42 balls when he should have made a much more confident stand, and he still got clean bowled by Mcgrath. If England don't put Read back for the Gabba it would show unreasonable faith in Jones. He took a good catch in Canberra but he also dropped a howler.

They did well against a couple of the Speedblitz batters today but they won't be facing them in the test. Two they will be (maybe), Clarke and Katich well had their measure. Apart from Katich retiring. Overall I think England will want to see a lot more venom from their bowlers in Adelaide and a poor start by Tresco and Bell would be very damaging.

But then again this could all be wishful thinking on my part and England will magically lift themselves way above their station when the battle begins in Queensland.

STOP PRESS: I've just heard that Jones is keeping wicket in Brissy. Madness. His dropped catches and missed stumpings (another on at the scg) will prove more expensive than than his miserly batting I'd be willing to bet.

2. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

EDIT: Trescothick is out, shock horror. This is a big boost for England, I don't think Tresco had really cried out all his problems yet.

ALERT!, unintentional bump.

Bugger, this was meant to be an edit to the above post but I hit the reply button by mistake.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Geraint Jones couldn't catch a cold. He's a dead-set liability, can't believe the Poms are going with him after the hiding he copped in England. The Aussie crowds (ie. ME) are going to be ruthless.

4. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

bloody hell chundles it's nearly midnight. What kept you.

Anyway, yeah, I can't imagine what Fletch is thinking. I mean what he hell did Read do wrong. He's wee weeing all over Jones in test cricket both as a wicket keeper and a run maker. All he did wrong was not do too well in some one day cricket in India. And as we all know that is very unusual as England are one of the world's greatest one day sides.

In the prime ministers Xi match Jones dropped an absolute sitter with Jaques on 21 that not only cost the match but also all the humiliating press for England. How many times does Geraint have to do that in the Ashes to make any runs he scores useless? Once I'd say.

What's the bet that Fletcher names Giles ahead of Monty? Do you think Stuart Clarke has done enough to play at the Gabba? Will Mcgrath make it to the end of the series?

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I really hope Monty's named, they need to blood him if he's going to be any use down here and there's few wickets around that will help him as much as the 'Gabba strip - look at all the damage Warne's done there. Giles is OK but not nearly as dangerous as Monty could be.

I think Clark will be in the side but I really hope they name Bracken ahead of him - Bracken has been on fire of late and provides a real change with his left-arm swinging deliveries - it's been a long time since we had a really good swing bowler, not since Fleming and we saw how good he was against the Poms, on a good day they couldn't touch him. Johnson is also a bit of a dark horse after his efforts in the Champions Trophy - he seems to have put his demons to rest.

I'd like to think McGrath will come good in this series but I don't think he'll play a massive role, Bing, Warne and whoever else plays are going to take the lion's share of the wickets. McGrath just needs to stay his almost boringly consistent self and he'll be fine.

6. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I feel at this moment that anything could happen, I'm even getting a bit nervous. But I think like in 2005 that the tone for the whole series will be set on the first day. Clarke was very deceptive to watch, he didn't look all that dangerous but he took the big wickets. Bracken though, looked really fearsome.

7. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Right then the squad is named. McGill misses out again which is a bit of a shame, the two spinners option may have caused some real havoc.

Bracken's out but Johnson, Clark and Tait are in.

Overall though I think the selectors have chosen an exciting squad that will frighten a few of the English, I'm sure. Bring on the Gabba. I also agree with putting Shane Watson in the squad over Symmonds, who I think can be a bit erratic in tests if the higher order batsmen don't do too well. Glad to see Martyn retained, I'm sure he'll make up for 2005 and he looks really solid if there is a moment of crisis.

Overall an excellent balanced squad.