Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
How many of you watched SNL tonight? did you notice that on the second song she sang she had the mike right down by her waist and was dancing and the previous song she sang (apparently on a recording) started playing. so she literally ran off the stage and it went to the commercial! She came back on and she apologized saying it was the bands fault for "playing the wrong song"! how crazy is that?

Did any of you guys see that?

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I saw it. Oops. I suppose if you're going to lip sync you should know when the recording starts. Was it just me, or did it look like the guy playing guitar was laughing at her?

We just need this to happen to all those other MTV manufactured "artists" so they can be taken down a notch.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i saw it, but i was also browsing mr so i didnt fully get what was going on. that's hilarious, although im not a big fan of her anyway.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It was a stupid mistake, or was it, ;) they played the wrong song. I don't understand how a "live" band can play the same song twice.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
As someone else said, the band really seems to have gotten a kick out of it. I don't know whether this clip is more humorous than the incoherent fangirl posts on her message board, though.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Wow ... that is blatant lip-synching.

I love her reaction though ... hilarious ... she looks behind her, looks around, and just kinda, dances uncomfortably.

Kinda sad, but funny. :p

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I want to feel bad for her... I really do.

But I can't because she was asking for it. From day one she made herself out to be less superficial than her sister - her sister who is the reason for her success. However, Jessica has turned out to be a very candid individual. On her show she has proven to be very honest, and comfortable in her own skin (however ditzy that may be). In her performances she has shown lots of talent. Ashlee, on her show, has tried to create an image for herself. I don't think she has been very honest about this 'punk' persona she has created. I can't wait to watch the episode of her show where they play the Sat. Night Live thing. Well, I forsee them leaving that out ;). And the worst part is that she tried to cover it up! She should have just said 'Sorry' and sang the damn song. Not gotten the correct tape playing - she should have sang the song. To run off the stage is childish enough, but to then blame your band is just blatant immaturity.

The more I think about it, the more it makes me sick. Ashlee tried to have an attitude. She tried to be 'raw'. If you want 'raw' music, listen to Lauryn Hill's Unplugged album. Doesn't get more real, or 'raw' than that.

C'mon Ashlee - your sister may not be the brightest ever, but you can learn a thing or two from her. It pays to be honest. Obviously, if your career is an act then it will be a short one, because mistakes are inevitable.

I hope the pop world has no pity on you, I sure won't - you don't deserve it.

scem0

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
Is everyone surprised? Every "Pop" performance I've seen on TV is synced. I always get a kick out of the Grammy's and MTV Awards shows when they have "Live Performances". Also, the Superbowl Halftime shows or Christmas Parades where it's pretty obvious everyone's lipsyncing. So someone screws up and everyone yells fraud? Every performance I've ever happened to see Spears do was synced, and I've never heard her criticsized for it.

I think it's pretty funny this happened, especially after they hyped the show up so much. I just hope people aren't honestly surprised by this. :D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
well, I am kind of surprised, being that all the performances I have seen from Ashlee's show were not synced.

But, no, it wasn't a huge surprise. Everyone knew and still knows Ashlee can't sing for her life - much less her career.

scem0

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
AL-FAMOUS said:
why the hell did she start jumping and clicking her heals together... lol that was ridiculous... she looked like something out of mary popins or singing in the rain

The CollegeHumor clip where they set it to the Benny Hill theme tune was hilarious! :D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
ocellnuri said:
Is everyone surprised? Every "Pop" performance I've seen on TV is synced. I always get a kick out of the Grammy's and MTV Awards shows when they have "Live Performances".
I think it was an MTV awards show I watched once, where Mya and whoever she worked with on the song performed "Ghetto Superstar". It certainly wasn't synced, as it kind of fell apart halfway through. I think someone forgot to sing their verse ;)

Of course, this all just gives me yet another reason to not like the little "punk" (HA!) bitch.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I wondered what that was. She looked really embarrassed at the end. It's one thing to lip-sync, but this...

I'm reminded of a show I saw, where they were showing her recording her album. She was just blowing it, sounding terrible. She stops it and says she hates the song because it sucks. The commentator stops the footage and says something sarcastic about how they're sure it's the songs fault and not the fact that she can't sing. I wish I could remember what show that was on. It was pretty funny.

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
solvs said:
I'm reminded of a show I saw, where they were showing her recording her album. She was just blowing it, sounding terrible. She stops it and says she hates the song because it sucks. The commentator stops the footage and says something sarcastic about how they're sure it's the songs fault and not the fact that she can't sing. I wish I could remember what show that was on. It was pretty funny.

the ashlee simpson show on mtv. I guess I'll be the sympathy person for ashlee. At least she made people laugh.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Another avi link: http://webpages.charter.net/dan-doug/haha.avi

I thought she sang her first song with no energy or excitement. That was lip synced too, right? She moved on stage only forward and backward like she was stuck in a track on the stage. If you aren't really singing live, shouldn't you have even more energy to dance and move around?

If the band was really "playing the wrong song", why didn't she stop them and tell them to start the right song? Explain that, Ashlee.

Edit: Found a doctored movie: http://onetrick.net/Ashlee_Sax.mpg

Edit edit: Now moved to http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=eb_ashlee_sax.wmv

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This isn't the first time.

Gossip story from November 2003:

C.J. of the Minneapolis Star Tribune has details behind Jessica Simpson's performance on Tuesday night at Clear Channel's party for its new St. Louis Park facilities. JoDee Messina and Montgomery Gentry performed at the event as well, though some tell her that Simpson was lip-syncing.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It wasn't the crime. It was the coverup.

MTV report before the show:

Despite her extra acting duties, as far as pulling off the show goes, Ashlee said that she feels really "comfortable and confident". ... Most of all, Simpson said, she's just really excited to be doing the show after watching it for so many years. "It's just really cool, just even to be on the set. I can't wait."
Undoctored video of her second performance (MPG, 10MB): http://homepages.wmich.edu/~m1hjjaap/snloops.mpg

Audio of 2nd performance and ending "apology" (WMV, 7MB): https://home.comcast.net/~mr.mojo/Oops.wmv

Lip-syncing is bad enough, but blaming it on the band instead of being honest about the mistake is pretty low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.